Will my insurance be voided for an incorrect statement on my policy ?

So I live in Iowa and recently have tried to insure my ATV. The problem I run into is that my insurance policy has a box that says “ is vehicle registered for use on public roads” and the box is checked “no”. I have yet to take to the roads, but in the event something happened would my insurance be voided if something happened on a public road ? The policy doesn’t specifically state that it can’t be on a public road, it just says that it isn’t registered for a public road, even after I specifically pointed out to my agent that it is.

Even if nothing happens on a public road, they could claim that it is void just because it is registered for a public road. They might even try to have you prosecuted for insurance fraud.

Get a policy with the box checked "yes". If they won't fix it, then buy insurance somewhere else and cancel this policy.

• Edna

Why would you check "NO" to the question "Is the vehicle registered for use on public roads"?. Whether or not you ever intended to operate it on public roads is immaterial.

You should have checked "YES". If your ATV is registered and has license plates, then it CAN be used on public roads. By checking "NO", you were telling the insurance company that your ATV is not street-worthy, and that it CANNOT be operated on public roads.

• zipper

You need to call the main office and report this to the home office, it is his BOOBOO!

Yes. Lying on your application is a form of insurance fraud. It doesn't matter whether you have driven it on public roads or not. If it is registered with the DMV and has a license plate then it can be ridden on public roads. Therefore you should have checked ''yes''. If you have an accident with another vehicle on a public road an insurance clam will denied and you can be prosecuted for not having proper insurance coverage.

Your insurance policy doesn't have to specifically state whether your ATV can be driven on public roads because state law regulates that, not the insurance company. State law says that if it isn't licensed it can't and if it is licensed it can. Also be aware that ''public roads'' aren't just paved roads they include most dirt roads too.

Source(s): Self - Eradicating ignorance one dumbass at a time
  • May

As long as the box is checked no. No claim would be honored if there was a accident or a claim on a public road. Why? because the rate you were given reflected that it would NOT be driven on public roads.

They will not provide coverage if you use it on a public road and have an accident. If the vehicle is licensed and if you have a license plate, you need a different insurance policy, like a normal auto policy.