Why do I pronounce "Atlanta" or "Atlantic" as "egglanta" or "egglantic."?

Background to determine any regional or generational dialect:

-I am in my early 20s.

-I live in the Bay Area, California USA.

-I'm a native English speaker.

-I was born in Southern Arizona and lived there until the age of 8.

- I am middle class. College educated.

-I am Chinese, White, and Hispanic American

I've always pronounced those words like this. Only recently have family members begun to clown me for it. Is this a part of a dialect or do I have a minor speech impediment?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's not a dialect.

The method that the young use in learning, in nature, is called imitation.

You have not imitated properly.

It is either because you have a hearing problem, or because you have a neurological (brain) problem.

It's that simple.

You have a defect in your existence.

Do you say "egg" for "at" also??

I'll meet you egg the corner in 30 minutes.

Your one other question was much better than this one.

• Ben
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Assuming you are actually able to pronounce them properly, but just usually don't, then it's not speech impediment.

You probably just got into bad habits and no one bothered to correct you, in much the same way as some people say "pacific" when they mean "specific", or "nucular" for "nuclear".

If you want to change it, to pronounce them properly, just try being more mindful when you say those words, and try to consciously pronounce them properly, rather than just speaking without thinking. If you do it enough, you'll eventually get into the habit of saying them properly.

• M.
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Medium for median.
      Chimbley for chimney.
      And my neighbors said bisgetti for spaghetti half a century ago.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's more likely to be a slight hearing impairment that you have had since childhood. Probably not a speech impediment.

• In
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Because your teachers were incompetent.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pontus
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

We can't answer that.

Are you capable of pronouncing them correctly? If so, then no speech impediment.

Just pronouncing them wrong might be simply because you heard them wrong when you first learned them and no one ever corrected. If it's a dialect thing, then there would be others who do it as well, in one of the places you have lived.

I have not heard anyone pronouncing those words that way, but I have never been to Arizona or California.

• I am capable of pronouncing it correctly if I think about it. But in everyday conversation I will always say egg-lanta.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.