Tom asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

how do you teach a puppy not to bite, or grab clothes?

• "How do you teach a puppy not to bite, or grab clothes?"

Hi, [Tom]. We need more INFORMATION - things that are possible with a 7 or 9 weeks old Cocker Spaniel are NOT possible with an 11 months old German Shepherd Dog!

So please

¤ click the [Edit] that's under your question,

¤ click the [Add Update] that will pop up,

¤ then type into the area that will appear:

💥1. Your pup's AGE and BREED and GENDER.

💥2. How LONG you've had him/her.

💥3: What tasks you want him/her to perform once you've trained him/her and he/she is an adult.

💥4: Does he/she live inside with you, or outside in an exercise pen? If you go to school or work, how long is he/she all alone from when you shut the door & leave, to when you open the door back at home - or is there always someone (mother? wife?) home who likes looking after him/her?

💥5: Have you booked yourself & pup into a weekly training group so there will be a gap for YOU to, as of when Pup reaches 18-to-22 weeks old, start getting COACHED to improve your awareness, body-language, consistency of commands, timing, use of the leash + praise&rewards + voice-tones? At the same time, Pup will learn to pay attention to YOU and not worry about what the other pooches are doing.

Then:

¤ CHECK and correct your typing - once you click [Submit], your typing becomes permanently & irrevocably "glued" to your question.

Meantime:

My litters have learned by 5 or 6 weeks old to NOT bite me or other humans. However, if I hold 2 fingers in front of a pup's mouth, that pup will happily GENTLY grip those fingers, and I can then walk backwards so I can get a friend to observe that pup's firmness of back and how much "reach" its gait has (I'd rather the friend let the pup hold HER fingers so that *I* can see the firmness & gait for myself, but she hasn't been willing. Gait is impossible to evaluate when pups are rushing madly to meet you in order to be first to get a fuss or their nose into the food dish!). In fine weather they spend their daytime on the 4 "levels" of my steep section, and the pups' response when a litter-mate bites quickly teaches them that biting HARD is NOT welcome.

🐕‍🦺 If one tries to bite me, I place my hand around the pup's muzzle and hold it closed until that pup is sick of being held. The grip is not to HURT - but it does have to be firm enough that the Pup can't escape.

🐕‍🦺 If one DOES bite my ham-string, I push pup's head into my ankle until that pup is sick of being unable to let go.

If you've had this pup for a week, you should have LEARNED 2 of its signals:

🔸1: "Wanna go TOILET !" - so you happily carry Pup to the designated toilet area, put it down, and stand boringly still & silent until Pup remembers what it wanted to do, so does it. Whereupon you instantly excitedly praise Pup (e.g.: "Betsy went TOILET! Good girl Betsy TOILET!") and, if Pup is close enough, give it some rubs between its front legs or on its croup, or (if your pup likes it) on the base of an ear. You might even have been prepared enough to give it a tidbit and possibly a game of bouncing-ball-chase-&-retrieve.

🔹2: "Wanna BITE something !" - so you can stamp your foot & ROAR your loudest deepest imitation of a bass voice's "NOOO!!!" or, if you are well prepared, you can attempt to distract Pup from you to having a game of Tug with your waggling towel or rope, or chasing after your bouncing ball.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

• patty

puppies love to discover things with their mouth. If they go to bite say NO loudly and move hand away. Give them plenty of toys to play with. My dog when she was young used to pull things off the clothes line. they grow out of this stage but u need to be patient.

Use a shock collar.

Follow these steps to train your puppy so he'll stop biting and will learn to be gentle ... When puppies play with people, they often bite, chew and mouth on people's hands, limbs and clothing. ... puppy is seven weeks old, but it's not nearly so endearing when he's three or ... When your puppy grabs the toy, start moving again.

• Tom10 months agoReport

Audrey, What are the steps , some of the message is not there.

Tell them no over and over and over again.they will soon grow out of that stage.then you will give anything to go threw this again. Enjoy it

You start training them not to bite immediately cause ALL puppies BITE! They have to be taught not to bite. Google your question to get all the information out there. Potty training & stop 'em from biting are the very first things you teach. You need to read & learn how to do it. While you are learning, read about Obedience Training & how you can teach that yourself.

• Maxi

I know this sound obvious however don't put your fingers in its mouth, and too many people do and wonder why the pup nips them, as the pup gets a reaction and it excites them, they continue to nip when playing...same with grabbing clothes........ so instead of reacting, replace your fingers/clothes with a raw carrot, or use distraction such as roll a ball along the floor.

Pups use their mouths to learn about the world around them, just like human babies do, they also nip/chew because they are teething and having lot of energy that is not used up in a positive way, like walking, positive play and training... if a pup is taken away from its mum/litter mates too early they also haven't learned bite inhabition, so it is up to you to teach it

Get yourself some ghost pepper oil. And put it where you know that the puppy is going to get hold of it. It will bite you or the cloth. And get a mouthful of some very hot stuff. He won't suffer any permanent injury but he will remember the lesson the rest of his life not to grab onto people or clothes I had a dog that thought it was acceptable to come up and bite you on your hand and pull at you. It was his game he wanted attention. he did not understand that that was unacceptable and painful. So I covered my hand liberally in ghost pepper oil. And the next time he went for my hand he got one heck of a hot surprise. He spent an hour running around foaming. And whimpering and whining. But he never attacked my hand again!

• E. H. Amos

That type of Neanderthal ABUSIVE "training" went out 30 or more years ago.  Hitting a puppy will only make him AFRAID of you and your hands.  And he can develop a FEAR BITER if he is really frightened or traumatized.

I use my first 2 fingers and smack the puppy/dog on the nose and tell them LEAVE IT!!!!!! Do this every time the puppy/dog tries this unwanted behavior.

Hopefully, they will get the message sooner rather than later.

• E. H. Amos

Another TROLL poster; suggesting ANIMAL ABUSE (hitting) as a form of training.

A little slap on the nose and a finger wave always worked for me.