Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 11 months ago

Is this an acceptable amount of rent?

I’m about to start my first job and my mum says I need to start paying rent. I don’t think that’s unreasonable but I will only make £250 a week and she has asked for £100 a week rent. Is that reasonable? I have been trying to save for driving lessons and a car for almost 2 years and my mums been telling me for years once I have a job I’ll be able to save up and afford it but with rent each month and other expenses it seems like it will take years

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favourite answer

The rule is 1/3 of your income. I always shot for 1/4 myself. I don't like to pay the landlord. You got more money to go out or even save. You can make anywhere look nice.

• 11 months ago

are we talking weekly or monthly

• 11 months ago

Find out what actual rent costs and reconsider your question.

The general rule of thumb on rent is a third of your income...this is 40% so not far off...

It will help you budget in the future, I like your mum.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

It likely is all inclusive, so no other expenses are involved. Do you get fed too? Depends what you are getting (besides a place to live), compared to renting space someplace else.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 11 months ago

How old are you? That makes a difference.

• B
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

she is asking for almost 50% of your income, should be closer to 25%, about half. move out soon if you can get cheaper rent.

• 11 months ago

What is the market rate in your area for a room? If £100 is less than that, it's fair - in fact, kind. If £100 is more than the going rate, then move out to the outside rental.

If you don't pay for all of your own food, then that should be factored into the calculations, too.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

It's fair ! Living in your own place would cost a lot more.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

that's good training for you you need to understand that more than 50% of your paycheck is going right out the door to rent that is a few want to have a roof over your head

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

No, that is not reasonable, nearly half of your wage, £50 a week is reasonable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.