Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 9 months ago

Are the Beatles fan base lackluster?

I see more fashion and other forms of support for other bands than Beatles. For example, Ramones T-shirts are way more popular than Beatles t-shirts. Keep in mind the Ramones were never a real commercial success, they were a band born in a basement of a pawn shop, and had zero musical background.

For posters, I see way more Pink Floyd posters, specifically the one with the girls and the album covers, than I do Beatles posters.

When it comes to the actual music, I almost NEVER hear Beatles music being played in public. How can that be? You never pull up to a stoplight and hear the fellow driver next to you blasting "She Loves You" or some other cheap pop song of theirs. It just doesn't happen.

What is wrong with Beatles fans

• Tony B

Since it's around fifty years since The Beatles split up I expect a lot of their fans are, as you suggest, lacklustre - either than or dead by now.

I don't thinkthe fans of a particular band are responsible for the production or sale of posters, T-shirts or other memorabilia. These things don't “support” the band (that doesn't exist anymore) anyway, they support the people producing them.

I guess I'm still a fan of The Beatles’ music but, at 65, I have no interest at all in any of the items you mention: I just enjoy their music and rate it highly. Having said that, I rarely listen to it - it's old music.

It's not up to the fans whether The Beatles music is played on the radio - I don't really listen to music radio much anyway and don't care what's played. I'm afraid it's very rare thatI hear any music “played in public” that I even recognise.

I'm wondering if you are mistaken about what a “fan” is and think that they are in some way responsible for promoting the band? A fan is just a person who likes the band. I would have thought that the majority of living Beatle fans are going to me in their sixties or seventies and not at all interested in the gimmicks you mention.

• EXZTNZ

Yes and I hope all the old bands are forgotten because their music is terrible.

More of Pink Floyd fan but every Saturday a local station plays an hour long broadcast of Beatles stuff.

My favorite part of it is when they do covers. Heard a instrumental take a week ago of While My Guaitar Genty Weeps which was very good.