Fender Bender Question! What should I do?

I was on the highway this morning and noticed this car was getting closer to me so I start hitting the brakes. All of the sudden, his brake lights go on and I noticed he slammed on his brakes..so I did the same, although I didnt have enough time to completely stop before his car, and so I rear-ended him. This was my first accident so I didnt really know how to handle the situation. The guy came out and he told me to get his number and that his bumper would be around $200 to be replaced (there was like a dent in it). My car had the bumper out of place and a few scratches of paint come off. He only asked for my number because he did not want to get insurance involved. The police was on the highway and pulled up next to us and asked "are yall ok? can you pull to the shoulder".. to which he responded that hes ok and that we re leaving now. So we took off on the highway, and left the scene

Hes asking me to send him $230 to his friend s venmo account. I wasnt sure what to do since my car had more damage and feel like it wasnt my fault that he slammed his brakes. He also gave me a call and I quote "I know it wasnt your fault" but still demanded to be compensated and is "holding me responsible".

My friends suggested to either block his number or change my number as he did not see my license plate, nor did he get any insurance/personal information. I suspect he either doesnt have insurance/license if he didnt want police or insurance to get involved.

I can't afford this atm

I'm gonna take a nap

• zipper

YOUR AT FAULT WHEN YOU HIT ANOTHER CAR IN THE REAR, report it to the police get the ticket and pay it. In the future leave more room between you and the car in front of you. After all you saw he was driving erratically, THAT SHOULD OF WARN YOU!

• May

This is a typical situation where insurance is not involved. You are likely about to be conned into paying out of pocket. What should you do? You should turn this over to your insurance company. You should have called the police to report the accident.

WHEN YOU HAVE INSURANCE....... U S E I T !

It was your fault that you hit him. You are never, ever allowed to drive so close to someone that IF they slam on their brakes, you won't be able to stop in time. If you don't have enough time to stop before hitting, that means you were too close and the police should have given you a ticket for that.

Tell him that you have decided to settle it through your insurance company at the request of your attorney. Report it to your insurance company and get a copy of the police report do this legally! That's why the police tell you to report all accidents.

You were at fault. A bumper usually costs about $1000. You could consider yourself very lucky to get away with paying just $230. I think you should take that option and thus avoid having your insurance raised by more than that. Just be sure to have him sign a statement releasing you from any further claim(s).

You were tailgating so it's your fault.....You rear ended him.

It is YOUR FAULT, PERIOD! You were getting closer to him, which is your fault. The guy in front can get naked if he wants. It is your fault for looking.

F..uk him about insurance as it is involving YOUR insurance only. That is what you pay for. He gets his car repaired and no money for his pocket. They of course want to see his Driver's License, and that is where he is shhitting bricks. Though that is not the business of insurance they may report him to the police.

You rear end anybody, it is ALWAYS YOUR FAULT. Never does that change...because you have EYES...just how close were you? to read the small numbers on the decal clearly.? You are suppose to have a space of 2 seconds between you and the car in front of you. A commercial truck could park in that space it is that big...or 70 feet(OR MORE) I have 3 seconds or even 4 because I like the scenery...not snorting other car exhaust.

He was “getting closer to you”? He was driving in reverse? Or you were getting closer to him? Option #1 is called “attempting to mitigate responsibility.”

Then it gets more confusing. HE TOLD YOU to get HIS “number.” I have no idea why he didn’t want the accident reported to the Police and/or insurance companies.

Unless there were some circumstances I am not seeing you admit you were getting closer to him, he slammed on his brakes, you didn’t have time to stop, you hit him. And you think HE’S responsible for the accident? Your “feelings,” by the way, are immaterial when it comes to liability.

Yes, he probably can’t find you. Yes, he made a mistake in trusting you to pay for his damages. He should have reported the accident and claimed against your auto insurance. After paying increased rates for minimally 3 years you will understand the issue.

Of course, if he DID get your plate number, if he DID track you down through your phone call(s), if he does call the Police, you can explain to the Police why you chose not to file and report and also to your insurance company.

Any reason you drive around in scrubs with a stethoscope around your neck? My brother is a Physician, and HE doesn’t drive around with a stethoscope slung around his neck.

Source(s): insurance adjuster

NOTE***** He also saw that I was in scrubs and with a stethoscope and asked me if I was a doctor during the scene... I told him I was a nursing student, but that question made me feel as if he was looking for money.