Can I get my Associates degree in 1 year?

If I already have some high school credits and if I took summer and winter classes, is it possible? Because I was told before college that I can transfer after 1 year for most schools and my stupid self believed everyone, and now I want to transfer to an out of state school and I can't because most only let you transfer if you have an Associates degree.

• Daniel

Probably, but it depends on how many credits you already have and what they are in, what the schools degree requirements are, when they offer the classes you need, and what prereqs any of them have.

The major hang-up you might have would be if you have any classes that have to be done in a sequence and aren't offered every semester.

If I understand what you want it is to do 2 years of work on one year to get an AA degree. it can be done, but it is rather hard, depending on what classes you take and how good your are in them, As I understand it you need to graduate from high school before hose schools will accept you for an AA degree. I would be talking to the guidance office at the school you are attending/

• MS

No school requires that you have an associate's degree to transfer. You can apply to transfer at any time. You either misunderstood or they misspoke.

It's highly unlikely that you'd complete an associate's in one year, even with some credits and those extra terms. It's also highly unlikely that you'd do well in those classes, and that would hurt your ability to transfer.

• drip

I would highly suggest going to this out of state university for a visit.

Get an appointment with the admissions office and get some facts and info on what will or will not transfer too. Take a tour of the campus.

Check out out of state tuition.

As other posts have said, most universities do not require an Associate degree to transfer,

• Squid

No school requires you to have an associate's degree to transfer. You can transfer any time you want.

• Eva

Possibly, if the classes you need are offered at a time you can take them. We have high school students that have nearly completed their associates by the time they graduate from high school.

Most AA degrees are about 60 credits a little more (For me it was 64). Say it is 64 credits then you would have to be taking 22 credits for every semester including summer session. I don't know about your CC but most colleges and universities have a very thin selection of courses offered during the summer.

And yes you do not need to finish your AA degree in order to transfer to a University. However, in my state it was guaranteed admission to any of the public universities within the state once you finish your AA. However an out of state school would be more difficult. I did know a girl who went to my CC and she transferred to Harvard however.

But what I did was I transferred with one class left to go for my AA. The stipulation being I had to complete that remaining courses within the first year of being at Uni. Of course I got that pesky math class done and got my AA while I was in University. lol

No, not if you don't want to have a mental break down. Most associates degrees require at least 60 semester credit hours or 90 credit hours of courses. It depends on the college you want to transfer to how many credit hours they require to transfer. That includes community colleges. Community colleges often do NOT have dormitories..

Most colleges,will NOT allow you to overload, take more than 18 semester credit hours of courses per semester. Summer terms aye often shorter than regular semesters, and you are in class longer five days a week in 8 week summer terms. 

• KaleyK

Yes you can. You have to load up on credits, including the summer term, and you can get an AA in one year.