Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 10 months ago

Is it exhausting or manageable to travel from Boston to NY and return the same day???

Im going for work related thing and I don't want to stay overnight. I found a train reaching NY 10 am to give me time to do my thing. Then another train departure NY 5 pm. Is it manageable, any advice to make it easier?

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

Take business class for the ride home.

Of course it's manageable. You will be tired but you can do it, or just fly.

It appears you are an ADULT.

Is it doable ? Of course it is.

Will you be tired by the time you get home. PROBABLY.

You day begins when you wake up not get on the train.

Your business day ends about 5:00 PM when you start your return.

A rather normal business day.

Your travel day has about 5 more hours. Hint your bed not the Boston Train station.

As you are driving the train you must remain alert at all times.............................. Sorry I forgot you are a passenger and can gosh darn it close your eyes and have a nap , relax  have a meal , read a book, watch the world pass by the window review your emails and reports on the way home. Maybe call your special someone talk to the children have some great discussion about something with a fellow passenger, watch a movie , the game or whatever on your gadget.

The train  you say gets you home about Bedtime. Suggest you just go to bed and SLEEP. You unpack TOMORROW. You will not be your best in the morning . SO WHAT. Avoid if possible a heavy work load first thing. You should be back to your normal self by lunch .

You make one long day seem like months on the road never sleeping , never sitting down always on the move no time to eat or collect your thoughts....

If you must pack your teddy bear so you have your sleep buddy with you for the ride home.

Would this be something you would do many times a weeks? Not really a very good idea unless you like sleeping on trains.

Allowing for NYC traffic you have about 4-5 hours for your business. Unless of course all your business is conducted in the Train Station.

Plan your day not much time for a social lunch or casual chat You can use the time going to NYC to confirm appointments addresses etc.Going home you can do whatever work you NEED to do from your day or RELAX and just go home.

• Sharon

I once was invited by a rather casual boyfriend to accompany him to Boston to a party where Isaac Asimov was expected. We drove up, met the Good Doctor, had a nice party, and drove back, returning home as dawn broke.

Sort of dumb thing you do when young. Taking a train is feasible on a one time basis and surely less exhausting than driving

• MS

It's certainly manageable, since you can relax a bit on the train both ways. I hope this is not a daily thing though - that would certainly get tiresome. But as a one-time or occasional thing, it's totally doable.

Yes, it is do-able. It will be a long day but that is all. Another answer suggests getting a Business Class ticket and you should do that since it will only add a little to your round trip ticket. First Class is noticeably more expensive but you also get more.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/onboard-accommodati...

Totally manageable. It’s a long day, definitely, but not crazy.

This is a one time event? Then yea, it's doable. I've driven from the north shore (MA) to lower Manhattan and back in the same day. Granted I didn't get home until midnight.

I wouldn't suggest doing it on a regular basis.

That is absolutely ridiculous why would you ask such a stupid question there is no way you're going to be able to keep that up long term