Would this be enough evidence to prove someone dinged my car?

I was in my car when a lady who parked next to me dinged my side view mirror. She wrote down her name and number on a piece of paper and I took a picture of the damage on my car and a picture of her car next to mine along with her license plate. There was nothing but a little bit of paint that could be rubbed off on the edge of her door and I did not take a picture of that. When I called after getting an estimate she tried telling me I had the wrong number but a reverse search on her name confirmed it was hers. Anyway, would this be enough evidence to prove she dinged my car if I took it to small claims court? I figured her handwriting with her name and number makes it clear she did. (I did not take a picture of her insurance or license and am aware of that mistake, along with the fact that I did not take a picture of my paint on her car.)

• Edna

Oh, for heaven's sake!! Call your insurance company and tell them that someone "dinged" your side mirror and let them handle it with the lady's insurance company. Give any "pictures" you might have to your insurance company. Your insurance company will be able to locate the lady, without too much effort on their part. Your insurance company will pay to have your damage repaired (less your deductible), then they'll go after the lady who caused the damage. After they're reimbursed by her or by her insurance company, the amount of your deductible will be returned to you.

BTW: Any time one of your side mirrors is impacted, it's not just a "ding" and it doesn't leave just a little bit of scraped paint. The entire side mirror (its motor assembly and its electrical components) are damaged - the entire thing will have to be replaced. That can cost 100's of dollars. That's the kind of damage to your car that you're looking at..

• May

sounds like enough proof to me but I am not a lawyer

Her handwriting with her name and number proves that she wrote down her name and number. It doesn't prove that she hit your car. She could have given you her name and number for some other reason.

Car will not look new FOREVER. Not a big deal. Now you know YOUR car when parked in a sea of identical cars. It is a battle wound. Life goes on. Wait till someone "T bones the car, and then it is something that will get repaired as a whole as they replace the door and do a repaint." It will happen, or you slide into a wall this winter wiping out the side of the car on the slippery roads. She dinged the side view MIRROR, something that can be bought at the dealership parts department brand new...in the right color.

. also do note, that name that she gave you may be an entirely different person like a customer or a neighbor or some name she remembers of somebody else. It is no proof it was HER.

Small Claims Court will be your word against hers. A Judge will believe one of you.