are humans today too obbessed with phones?

do you think we humans are too much on our phone in public? this is nothing new, it have been like this for years, but everyday i see large numbers of people being down on their phones, its everywhere, on the train, pple waiting on the train etc, everyone on their phones standing next to each other. i have personally never used my phones in public, only at home. when i walk past people using their phones, they usually see me walking without my phone and then they put their phone away again. its like everyone is doing whats normal, its like everyone is being zombies on their phones because the rest of soceity does the same, sure there are some people who dosnt, but i see ALOT of phone zombies and text walkers everyday. what have the world come to, technology have made us scared of intercting with people or even making eye contact.

It's because of the way our society is wired. You either get used to it or are at risk of becoming a social outcast. Most people want to fit in and be regarded as normal, so they do what they see other people doing. Considering it's almost mandatory to own a car and a computer to lead a normal life, now it's also necessary to carry a phone with you. You wouldn't need it if you lived in a pre-modern society.

• ted

Some people are slavishly devoted to their phones.

I grew up during the 1950's, when mobile phones did not exist.

• David

Absolutely, it's just absurd.

People used to read newspapers and not socialise while they did that, then those people grew old and craved social interaction, old people get bored and lonely, they forget what it's like to not want to chat to some random person on the train.

Old people complain about young people on their phones, but when those young people grow old, they will complain about the same type of stuff. It's all happened before and will happen again. That saying applies to most things.

Phones r useful so we use them, but they are also a status symbol. And for some, their intention is isolating

• Liz

I think some people actually go into depression when they don't have their phone with them. LOL It's definitely one of the staples of modern living today.

Young people appear to view their mobile phones as parts of their bodies and may even start to panic if they are separated from their phones. In fear of being cut off from others, many keep their mobile phones on all the time, everywhere. If they do not receive any messages on their mobile phones, they feel uneasy and irritable, and start to feel they are not needed by anybody. This uneasiness impels them to answer all incoming text messages immediately, which is often not necessary. It seems inevitable that children’s reliance on cell phones will grow in the future. The only way to minimize the negative effects of this trend is to ensure that adults set children a good example in using cell phones.

• 10 months agoReport

"The Extended Mind" by Andy Clark and David Chalmers... only brain dead people offload their mind into a phone to the point they become zombies.

• Lili

Yes. And it's become a serious problem. People aren't interacting, they are overly focused on social media sites (which are fueling insecurity/anxiety issues among the young), they're even getting into accidents because they can't raise their eyes from their phones.

The other day, I was taking a commuter train from my neighborhood into the downtown area of the city in which I live. On the platform, I got into a very interesting conversation with a photographer who was shooting the area around the station. On the train itself, I pulled out a book and enjoyed 20 minutes of peaceful reading. Everyone else on the platform and in the train, I noticed, was looking at a phone. That's all they were doing -- just staring at their phones.

What sort of a life is that?

• Mark

Yes. I was on the bus a few months ago, and it was eerily quiet. I then realised it's because most of the people were glued to their phones and were either texting or reading.

A few years ago, there was some mouth-breather who was walking in the mall staring at his phone. I just stopped and stood there, and of course he walked right into me. He exclaimed (really) "why weren't you watching where I was going?!?!"

Don't call them phones, they're mobile mind-draining devices.

No one uses a smartphone to actually CALL people, they use them to decrease their amount of social interaction with real humans. Sending Text Messages isn't social interaction, you can replicate the same effect with a chat-bot. Facebook isn't social interaction, yahoo answers isn't social.

It's a major problem that the zombies don't want to admit exists. People can be sitting together at a restaurant table, all texting other people or playing on facebook. I know of one mother who noticed her two daughters would text each other rather than speak, even when sitting right next to each other.

• zahuk10 months agoReport

i mean they use them to not interect with strangers

• L

I don't remember many strangers interacting with each other even before phones, they instead had their heads in a newspaper, magazine or book. Then again, I've always been in a big city so I can't speak for what it was like in small towns.