Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 9 months ago

Question for women who like to dress modestly or wear headcovering?

I am creating a modest clothing line for women who like to dress modest for religious or any other reasons. I wanted to ask what kind of issues do you face when your shopping. Is it hard to find clothes that you like that are trendy and cover you. What issues in particular are there.

I expect skirts to have hems below the knee, preferably several inches below the knew, and not be tight-fitting. They should not conform to the body, show curves, and especially not the but crack or be cut so low (like blouses) that you could see the bulge of their breasts or a bra if they were wearing one. Clothes should be made of fabric thick enough that it isn't see-through, or cling to one's curves (like spandex), or thin enough to reveal the outline of underwear (like most of the tee shirts from Walmart do). It would be nice to have them be high enough in the neck that they don't fall off the shoulders, like the plus sizes do, and have collars. It would also be nice to have sleeves that go down almost to the elbow, instead of the sleeveless varieties or the cap sleeves. One shouldn't be able to see a bra through the armhole. Also, one shouldn't have to wear several layers of clothes to get the appropriate modesty of dress. It gets way too hot wearing four layers of clothes just so nothing is see-through in the bodice.

Button gap!! I stopped wearing buttoned shirts because of that.

Also, I don’t wear them any more, but when I was wearing suits, the skirts were always knee-length; it was impossible to sit down without showing your thighs. Also, ALL the tops that came with the suits were sleeveless. Why? Bare arms aren’t appropriate for a business - attire workplace, so are you not supposed to take the jacket off ever? Annoying.

• Jerry

I want tops that don't expose my back, my belly, by bra.

I want pants the cover my buttocks and belly even when I bend or sit and aren't so tight or clingy as to reveal the outlines of my more intimate curves, to reveal the creases beneath the buttocks, to reveal the outline of my pubis.

I want skirts loose enough to allow freedom of movement and long enough that I can sit and bend without risking immodesty.

I want jackets long enough to cover my buttocks and belly; this isn't so much a matter of modesty as a matter of short jackets drawing undue attention to the natural bulges most ladies have in the belly and buttocks.

• Liz

As a dedicated Christian, I'm always mindful of what my clothing says about me and whether it glorifies God. I'm a Plus size and I always make sure my dress and skirts are below the knee or the length of sun dresses depending on the day, the weather or whatever I'm doing; not clingy or tight in the bodice. Most of us dress with this verse in mind at 1 Timothy 2:9 - "Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind,"

• Lay lay9 months agoReport

Thankyou for this , I am making my modest clothing brand for everyone and not just Muslim women so I will definitely make sure I do this. I hope all types of people and people from different religions buy from my store.

I would like to see more traditional shirts that button up the front. There are far too many drapey polyester things with HUGE necklines that cover almost nothing. Same goes for sweaters. Stores stock these because they can be made very, very cheaply. You should also use quality fabrics, such as cotton.

• Lay lay9 months agoReport

Helpful thanks

• Lili

Just so you know: there are sites for such women, sites that sell fashionable but modest clothing. You should be looking at them.

See one below: