C asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Does a parent have the right to choose and enforce the clothing choice of a 17 year old daughter?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If she's working and paying for her own stuff, I would say no. I mean, you can express your opinions, but if she made her own money and bought the stuff herself, she doesn't have to listen to you.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure if they think something she's chosen is inappropriate (too short, too low, too tight). I think she should be old enough to establish her own preferences but the parents should have a say so also.

• 2 months ago

Parents have a right to not let their daughter go out the door sending a dangerous message to others. Unless she is working and buying her own clothes, you have a say so except for personal styles and colors that she might like to express her personality.

• 2 months ago

If you're talking about not allowing her to wear inappropriate clothes such as something slutty or she wants to dress like a prostitute then no that's not wrong. If you're trying to force her to wear a specific article of clothing ( especially something she hates) then yes that is definitely wrong and is not worth making a battle over. As for if they have the right to do this, yes they do because you're still living with them and besides that they're the ones paying for your clothes.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don't think so but many would disagree with me and that's okay.

• 2 months ago

Yes, parents do have the right to enforce clothing rules, even on a 17 year old daughter. However, it is important to strategically communicate those rules. just saying "you can't wear this. End of discussion" is not the best way to communicate this policy. A better way would be to say something like "in my house we hold by values ABC, which means that we don't do XYZ because we believe in our family standards"

• 2 months ago

When the child is a dependent (lives at home), a parent has the choice to enforce any rule they desire. When the child moves out on their own, then they can make up their own rules.

• 2 months ago

Good luck with that. Think of it this way: someday you'll be in the old folks' home. Do you want your daughter to visit? To care for you? To help you? If so, start treating her like she's almost an adult. If you want to enforce her clothing choices, expect her to move out as soon as she can and not help you when you're old. Your choice.

Oh, and the more fuss you make, the more she'll like the clothing you don't. Don't let her see that this gets to you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Until you're 18, you are (technically) property and responsibility of your parents. They can dictate everything about your life (as long as it doesn't violate laws). If they say that you need to wear a chicken suit to school every day, learn to have a sense of humor about it.

But, if you're resisting your parent's choice of clothing, ask a few questions.

1) Why are they dictating those clothes?

2) What values are they trying to instill in you?

Sometimes parents see things that you don't. When you get older (and especially once you have your own children), you'll look back and understand why your parents wanted you to do certain things.

• Correct, Suzy Q. Parents are responsible for their children (although a 17 year old is more than old enough to make basic decisions regarding things like clothing), but children are NOT the “property of their parents”.

• 2 months ago

Yes. They are paying for your clothing. Ask for the money and you can buy your own, Byt I doubt if you'll get it. Looks like your taste in clothing leaves very little to the imagination. (Barbed wire - protects the property without spoiling the view.)

Peace.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.