New macbook battery not working?

A couple days a go my macbook had a message saying 'service battery' so it needed to be replaced, i bought a brand new battery for it (my macbook is a mid 2010, Model A1342) i replaced the battery and plugged in the adapter, a couple hours later i turned it on, i took out the adaptor and it turned off, when i clicked on the battery button it says battery not charging and the power source is the charging adaptor, so my macbook only works if i plug the charger in.

• opurt

That can happen for a couple of reasons.

If you don't have the exact same model of battery, then it will act as if there isn't one. For example, I've got a Late 2011 MacBook Pro, which needs the A1382 battery. The A1321 battery is the same size with the same connector but is meant for a different model and doesn't work at all.

The other common reason is that the replacement battery is defective. It happens, especially with non-Apple replacements. Contact the seller for a replacement.

Or it might be as simple as it's not fully connected to the system board. You might want to try taking it out and putting it back in again.