I just started university at Exeter I'm 23 and everyone I've met so far is younger than me I don't know if uni is for me ?

I have started uni again after changing course this time at s great campus the uni is beautiful and people are so friendly but it's abit awkward as I'm older I don't fancy spending the best years of my life feeling old when I'm not I'm thinking to ditch uni and just go travelling enjoy life just do something more age appropriate, however it's a great uni any advice ?

You're hardly older than traditional four year university students.

I know someone who is starting a History degree at a top UK University in 2 weeks time at the age of 73. It's whether you like what you study that counts, not who else is there.

People go to school to earn a degree so that they can earn a higher income.

If you can afford to travel and just enjoy life, it doesn't sound like you need to

go and earn a degree.

• Fred

It is better than feeling old and unemployable. There are people who do uni after they retire. You are there to learn, not to make friends to go partying with.

It does not matter how old you are as long as you are accomplishing your goal. Which is to obtain a degree. Im 29 year old and my goal is to graduate by fall 2021. “Follow your passion, it will lead you to your purpose” - Oprah

• d00ney

Is this not fresher’s week? Does not the place abound with little pip-squeaks still clutching their A level certificates from sixth form? Next week they will be lost in the great mass of students, and then half of them won’t know you haven’t returned for a PhD.

I hear the Exeter University Jazz Orchestra is very good. Worth a listen even if jazz is not your thing.

What difference does a couple of years make? Do you go around telling everyone your age? Just focus on your studies and enjoy your time at uni.

You're very young, and showing serious immaturity by thinking of dropping out of university just because you're a little bit older than many other students. Stop being so age-ist! You're supposed to be an adult now, able to get along with people from 4 days to 104 years. Focus on schoolwork.

When you were 8, a year or two difference in age was a big deal due to various physical, emotional, mental development factors. By the time you are 18-21, those differences are less marked. And you are supposed to be an adult, albeit a very young adult, so start acting more maturely. Stop obsessing over age & get to work!

• Tavy

Exeter has a great night life. You must have been there all of 2 days. Not a good start is it?

• alan P

What are you doing at university? Do you have a career in mind for afterwards? I would have found it difficult to follow the career I'm in without getting a degree. It's great to go travelling but at some point you are going to have to do something to earn a living. You're not that old. Currently you are only a year or two older than people in their final year. The campus at Exeter is close to the city, or it was the last time I was there, so you could get involved with clubs and groups there if campus life does not suit you.