Jamie asked in PetsReptiles · 11 months ago

Do female crested geckos lay eggs no matter what or do they only lay eggs if they have mated?

I don't have any experience with cresties per se, but I know one female leopard gecko that I had did lay (infertile) eggs, and the other didn't. I'd imagine it's the same with cresties. So, don't be alarmed either way.

• Darby

Like many other reptiles, female crested geckos can lay eggs without having mated. Those eggs, of course, would be infertile. But each crestie is different. Some females will lay infertile eggs every year while others may never lay any eggs at all, even with the presence of a male.

Crested geckos are really popular and a lot of crestie owners have taken up the job of breeding crested geckos for a myriad of reasons. If you want to start breeding cresties you don’t have to worry too much. The process of breeding crested geckos is quite easy. In fact, it’s one of the reasons they’re so widely available.