Andrew asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Any suggestions for keeping a dog from eating the cat's food?

Introducing a roommate's dog to my cat and oddly enough the major problem between the two is that the dog will not stay out of the cat's food. The dog has an ample supply of food, and is given treats through out the day, but the second food is given to the cat, the dog rushes in like he's starving to death.

My roommate's scolded him and shown him back to his dish, but that hasn't worked.

Any suggestions?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

poison the food.

• 2 months ago

Give the dog food to the cat.....nothing like a change.

• 2 months ago

Honestly put the cat food up higher so the dog can't get it. The dog is going to eat the cat food no matter what if it's left on the ground. The dog is eating the cat's food because its something new and to him something tasty...I do advise to put the food up higher so the dog can't get it...But please do not use a shock collar for the dog because while it could fix the problem it could ultimately cause more problems.

• 2 months ago

Well the dog should only be fed twice a day and shouldn't be "given threats throughout the day". Very unhealthy for the dog. Can't imagine how fat it already is. It also should be fed a high quality grain free kibble. I'm betting it's fed a crappy grocery store food like Pedigree which has ZERO real meat and is made mostly of corn. Feed it a better food and it won't be so hungry all day long.

Put a baby gate across the kitchen entrance so the cat has a dog free room for eating and using the litter box. You could also put the dog outside whenever you feed the cat if you have a fenced yard.

• Anna
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

She meant treats. It was a mistype very easy to do especially from a phone.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Feed the cat on top of the fridge. Dog can't get up there. You just need to feed the cat in a different location where the dog cannot get to it. simple.

• 2 months ago

Most dogs find cat food irresistible. Feed them in separate rooms, or feed the cat where it can jump up on a table to eat, use a chair for it to do this, I did and it worked out fine, you will be frustrated to no end if you think the dog will leave it alone.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Use a shock collar.

• 2 months ago

Cat food in quantities is not generally good for dogs as it has too much protein. I suggest feeding the cat on an elevated surface if possible.

• 2 months ago

1. Ask your roommate to put their dog away in another room or crate while you feed your cat.

2. Put your cat in another room while you feed it.

3. Feed your cat up somewhere high that the dog can't reach.

4. Put up a baby gate to block the dog from getting into the room the cats food is in.

5. Roommate trains their dog to leave the cat alone at meal times.

• zeno
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Just let him enjoy it. Put out more food if

Needed.

• Kid Mohawk
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

No, they cannot. You should research that one Zeno.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.