Why are minority groups often prejudiced towards other minority groups?

Today at work I heard a black coworker openly state twice her prejudice against Jews. Likewise, growing up with Jewish ancestry I have heard many Jews state their prejudice about Arabs, and I've seen Arabs state prejudices with other groups, and those groups stating their prejudices with about other groups, and so on and so on and thus continues the cycle.

All of these groups have faced (and perhaps still face) extreme prejudice. How are we going to discourage prejudice when the people suffering from it are also the ones showing it?

• Amber

It's a very vicious cycle and one, I think, is based in the belief "we are right". Christian think they are the "true" religion. Gay people think they have the right to love/do what they want. Homophones believe it's gross and unnatural. These people all think they are correct. It's hard to let people know they are wrong.

The media also doesn't help in portraying different groups. The amount of times I see gay men being portrayed a "whimpy" and "poofy" . I know a few gay men you'd never know was gay. They act like men, even their boyfriends act like men. If you like men, why would you want a partner that acts like a woman? Of course, you do get men like that, but you get straight men like that as well. This creates a stereotype, and not always a good one. So people think that is how all of them are.

I don't think it's something that will ever be broken. People are entitled to their opinions, right, wrong or down right ignorant. All you can do is treat people with respect They are human before they a Jewish, Christian, gay, transgender, white or black. They can be as rude as they like, but never stoop to their level. Keep your grace and dignity.

Because they are human and humans have a tribal mentality and those outside of the tribe can be viewed with suspicion

Well, the black man isn't in a minority group, the late Jackie Robinson said that 4/5ths of the world are dark meaning 80% of humans on the earth are non-white.

My people have never been in a minority on the global scale.

We're not prejudiced against anyone, we've been the victim of prejudice and racism for 400 years. If we complain about those who mistreat us that isn't prejudice.

• Brother X

We don't look at his sexuality, if he's white he's white, if he also happens to be gay what difference does that make to us?

all races already practice abuse and violent acts against other people at some point in history, no one is perfect.