How much money should I ask for for food while on vacation with a large group?

I'm taking a week-long vacation to a beach house with about 20 people (6 adults, about 14 highschool grads - it's for "sweek"). We plan to make most of the food at the house to save money. How much should I ask each person to give towards the food fund? I saw somewhere to budget around $60 a day per person ($420 for the whole week) but I feel like that's assuming they are eating out frequently, which we will not be doing. Plus, adding that on to the base price of staying at the house makes me feel really bad. Am I just bad at asking for money? How much should I really be asking?

• mokrie

The way I worked it years back with a similar situation, I had each person kick in 1000 even and it went into a big envelope. Money for food and lodging came out of the envelope. When the vacation ended, what was left was divided evenly between all the people. Prices are higher now so if you need to ask for more upfront then do it.

• Hannah8 months agoReport

Thank you! Perhaps if I mention that they will probably get a couple hundred back, they would be more willing to pay that much.

$60 per day per person? It would cost less to eat out at a sit down restaurant. I don't spend $420 a MONTH on food.

• Eva

$20 a day per person should be plenty if you're making most of the meals at home.

• B

$60 a day is way too high per person and the going rate is closer to maybe $20

OUTLINE an eating plan (BF: 35 dozen eggs, 21 pounds of bacon, 7 gallons orange juice, 7 loaves of bread for toast, butter, jam, etc; then lunch, dinner, milk, snacks,,,) to create a budget; AND draft a clean-up duty list !!!** List the food and the menus and figure it out. Then add 10% (or 25% if the place is expensive, like Hawaii) and round up. [ I like Mokrie's idea - but put the money in a bank and pay for the food with a debit card, credit card, or paper checks to be safe.] ** Make everyone sign a chores list (with dates, and times, etc) before you go !!! {Have you considered an all inclusive resort in Mexico ? Or a 7 day cruise ? so no one has to cook or clean up ??}

• Judy

That sounds really high, unless you plan to grill steak every night, and include half a case of beer per person, per day, and include the cost of a couple nights out at a fancy restaurant.

A side note - who is doing all this cooking?

• Pam

$60/day sounds about right. But make sure you factor in everything, 3 meals a day, snacks, beverages. etc. You might even wanna kick it up to $450 to be on the safe side, but make sure that all the meals are something that everybody eats. For instance, if you have a vegetarian (eye roll), you will have to accommodate them with something else. Collect the money up front because people act funny when it comes to money. Good luck with that.

• Casey Y

So...layaway for the trip?? If people cannot budget and have this cash available when the time comes...you might want to reconsider handling everyone's money for this.

$60 a day per person sounds high if you are buying food to cook.

That's equivalent to $1800 a month, do you spend that?

• Hannah8 months agoReport

That's what I was thinking.However, the place we are going is a vacation area, so the prices for food might be inflated just because there's usually only one place to buy groceries and w/ the number of people, we don't have space to also pack a weeks worth of food. What amount would you suggest?