Senior citizens: Do senior citizens in your area ride on public transit for free?

I live in San Francisco, California.

Senior citizens (age 65 or older) here ride on public transit for free, provided that their gross annual income for their household is at or below a specific income level.

Example: a senior citizen who lives alone qualifies to ride on public transit for free, if his/her gross annual income is at or below $80,700.00

Two senior citizens sharing a household qualify to ride on public transit for free, provided that their gross annual income is at or below $92,250.00

Update:

Qualifying senior citizens for free public transit provide proof of age and a statement that their gross annual income is at or below the qualifying income level. Applicants are then given a smart card that they can use when boarding all public transit vehicles in San Francisco.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Laredo
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I live in the UK and senior citizens here can have a free travel on buses from the age of 60 thanks to our bus passes. The bus pass is automatic at 60 years of age regardless of how much money the senior citizen has in the bank.

I am not sure but I think we can also have a reduction on train travel at certain times.

• Fred3663
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Scotland or Wales, when you reach 60, in England not until you reach the state pension age.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Where I live yes and where my mother used to live yes but in her area there were specific times when the passes could not be used e.g. during the times when children were going to and from school and workers were going to and from work. Mother could use hers after 9.30 a.m up until 3.00 p.m. and then again from 6.00 p.m. until the buses stopped running.

Where I live they are totally free from the first to the last bus.

• Ron
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

Our local grocery store delivers to shut-ins without a fee. Maybe there is one in your area.

• 10 months ago

In Salt Lake City, we have a train, we have buses, and we have TRAX, basically a tram on rail tracks.  None of them are free to seniors, but seniors ride for a reduced fare.  The only thing that might be free, is certain sports events, like football or Jazz Basketball, and you need to have your ticket in hand or on your smart phone to ride free for that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Free after 60 and more concessions at 65. It is worth a couple of thousand dollars, as the area covered is huge. There is no restrictions on times of usage (as there used to be) which is how seniors got the nickname Twirlies (from asking drivers, "I too early?")

• Judith
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

No. There is what is called the "GO" bus for seniors and the disabled. They can pay a monthly fee or for each use separately but it is not free.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Yes, totally free for all who are over 60, providing they have the correct pass for the area. England has their own, Wales has their own etc. and they cannot be used in the other areas of the U.K.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Here in Pittsburgh, senior citizens ride public transportation for free. Currently they accept a few forms of ID proving your age, but they're moving to a new system where your Connect Card (the bus pass, essentially) has a photo ID on it to streamline the process.

• ted
      Lv 5
      10 months agoReport

Qualifying senior citizens for free public transit provide proof of age and a statement that their gross annual income is at or below the qualifying income level. Applicants are then given a smart card that they can use when boarding all public transit vehicles in San Francisco.

• 10 months ago

In some cities, people get paid to ride public transportation to make the usage numbers rise.

• Ti
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

That is really nice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.