b asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 9 months ago

I have a contractor that proposed to build with a set budget. Within the last week he submitted a second change order for 24,000?

he submitted a second change order . He works for you so he has to do what you tell him to do. If you did not order a change to the plans, then he is stuck with his quoted price. If you make changes, then you negotiate what the changes will cost you and then you think about it and absorb the cost. That simple.

• b9 months agoReport

Thanks so much . I needed a blunt answer. He requested 32,000.00 down in one lump sum. I said give me a schedule of what will be done for this money .I informed him I would have someone check every morning to see what was accomplished or when the crew leaves I will document the progress.

when engaging a contractor,after getting references on the dude,

write out type out,the desc of the job,,append pics of or drawings of what you want done,,his price needs to include,,total labor,,materials supplied by you at cost,,I E no markups,that is paying double,,unh unh .

terms,half down,balance due at completion,you and he go over the work,look for misc stuff needs clean up,,,finishing touches,,aim is to see the job is DONEDONE

if you were loose,, no form agreement before work started,,you have a headache here,,, look over what he has done,what defects there are, figure out fair value for his time,and materials,

All work remaining,unattended by him,get another licensed guy to look at the job,,second guy finishes,,pay number one for his time & mats' offset by your costs with the second dude

• roberto

good deal,a common easy way to get the goofs away is to tell them,,'materials at cost' I am paying you for your labor once bud,' if they object,,get someone else

If you were quoted to have a new house built and you made NO changes, then the builder cannot get away with adding a $24K change order and he must absorb the cost. If you have a contract for him to build your house using xyz materials and wood floors, and then decided you wanted tile, well, that is an understandable change order.

But, you are not saying what was changed.

If your house is existing and you are adding an addition or renovating, then I can see there may be other unknown work to be done that was not expected. I recently had work done on my house that I hired a contractor to replace a cinderblock double flue for an insulated stainless steel flue, framed and sided with clapboards to match the rest of the house. When the old flue was removed, it revealed more water damage from roof to sill plate, than originally suspected. That cost more in labor and materials. But, I was warned in advance that to expect more damage once the flue was removed. As it turns out, on a different side of the house, we found rotted woodwork in a corner, under the gutter downspout that need to be removed and replaced. That was not part of the original job, so of course we had to add that repair to the cost of the work. It is common for more work to be found on a job site. And, it does cost less when the crew is already there to have the additional work completed.

So, in your case. The details of the increased work order are ultra important because the right scenario could merit the change order.

Communicate with your builder and do not be pressured to have more work done than you originally contracted. It is a known fact that one can expect to spend more than anticipated on a project as things do pop up and changes are made. But, like I said, with a new build, that should never happen unless you change your mind, thereby changing the labor/material costs. Maybe it was revealed that the septic system needs replacement? In which case it may have to be replaced as an inspector will not pass a system that is not where it needs to be or if it is damaged. For instance.

• Scarlet7 months agoReport

If he "incorrectly calculated", that's his problem, not yours. I can just imagine what a poor job you'll end up with if the guy cannot even estimate the cost of materials correctly.

Depends on what the change order is for. How well was the work defined. That is a common problem. Did you ask for something not in the original contract? Was it an unexpected problem like a sink hole in the middle of the site?

• b9 months agoReport

No the septic was included already and thats not it. It was foundation cement and labor for increased elevation. But would this really be 24,000.00 and its not in my budget.

the set budget was for a set amount of work

if the amount of work changed than so does the cost

You need to get onto a solicitor straight away and have him removed from the job.

If he turns nasty get the police.

• b9 months agoReport

He threatened me ....and is nasty . He said he would make it so that no one would come near my home and build it. Basically he would destroy me. Next he said he would come to my workplace .

you tell him if you want something changed , not the contractor telling you , unless there is something major that was unforeseen , like there was unknown termite damage . what type of job is this ?

• b9 months agoReport

The home is totally rebuilt due to hurricane Irma . He said he did not calculate the dumpster cost at the dump and added more money and did not calculate the cement for elevation .

If he has started the job, he has to finish for the amount of the first quote. He cannot change after starting, without your consent.

• b9 months agoReport

He threatened me ...saying that he would make it so that no other contractor would even work on my home. He said if I did not sign this he would back out . I am under so much pressure because the contractor forced me to sign this . If the insurance claim was not submitted I would lose everything.

• Eva

Well, did you change something?

• b9 months agoReport

No I said no change order and the original contract was in place. He changed this .

Can I dismiss him and complete the work myself?

I need a certificate of occupancy....