Can I take my driver's test without my permit?

Okay so I lost my permit and I'm suppose to take my driver's test with the week. In case I dont find it is it possible for me to do the test without my permit? Or do the people at the DMV need to see my permit for anything?

• Edna

How can you "lose" your permit? You're supposed to put your "permit" in your wallet and carry your "permit" with you whenever you drive. Your "permit" is a restricted driver's license that was issued to you by the DMV.

I hope you haven't been driving around without it in the months it's been "lost". If you get stopped by a police officer and you can't show him your "permit", you'll get a ticket for driving without a license.

No. A permit is required.

Not a chance in hell. One traffic violation during the test is usually an automatic fail, and driving without proper documents (including your licence / permit) is a traffic violation.

Go to the DMV (or whatever the DMV is called where you live), tell them you lost your original permit, and they'll print a new one for you. You'll have to fill out a form and pay a fee, because they do love their forms and fees, but you'll walk out with a valid copy of your permit that very same day. Nobody will even look at you funny, because they do 20 or 40 of those a day.

Source(s): Seriously, how have you not googled "lost / stolen permit replacement" on your own?

The thing is; you can't practice driving without a permit. So the car is staying IN THE YARD. So, you walk down or thumb or get a bus or crawl down to DMV and they will make you a copy and charge you for the copy. Or check the other jacket you don't normally wear. It is in the pocket. It is very UNLIKELY that it has vaporized or been beamed aboard a starship...so use some logic and walk backwards to find it.

• May

Okay so, they need to see it okay so.

Okay so, what possible good would it do to have a permit but not have to show that you have one, okay so.

Another Okay so'er

They need to see it, but even if they didn't, you still wouldn't be able to take the test without it. To take the test, you need to drive, and you aren't allowed to drive without your permit.

• bo

first thing the examiner will ask for. no permit you're not going out on the road

NO, you can't !

• g

You need to purchase a duplicate copy of your permit, Laney, before you will be allowed to take your driving test. In fact you cannot legally get behind the wheel of an automobile without one!

• A.J.

You fail the test immediately because you are not authorized to drive without a permit.