Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 5 months ago

What should I expect to quit smoking cold turkey?

I wanna try and stop smoking cold turkey and replace it with beer and food, I personaly enjoy a couple drinks per week I just find it relaxing and much better than smoking. Anyway what would some advise and thing to expect , I also smoke weed daily been doing it for about 7 years

• blank

Withdrawals is a big one.

But drinking is not a healthy alternative either.

• RICK

You won't stop smoking if you keep drinking

I stopped both until all smoking urges were gone which took about 3 weeks

I did that 30 some odd years ago.

Prepare yourself with something to do with your hands. I never replaced cigarettes with food directly because fiddling with them is what I needed. I kept myself busy. the worst was directly after a meal, and in the evening when the family relaxed in front of the tv.

At night i cut quilt squares and later I learned how to crochet. Now, some 30 years later, I still need to be doing something while watching tv. I mend clothing, or crochet or do crossword puzzles.

The worst of the longing for a smoke was gone in 3 days. The habit of smoking took a bit longer but I NEVER ever had another cigarette after January 21st, 1983.

I read an article once that claimed cold turkey smokers were the most successful in quitting over those who cut back to none over time.

• Steven

Wow that is motivating , so what your saying is that the first 3 days are the hardest even after 30 years? Wow that's deep and powerful. Respect too you for learning new things while replacing your habbit it sounds like that quiting smoking (not just for your healthy) turned your life around!

you could expect not to get cancer if you quit

• Expect the beer to not help at all and the food to not help much either.

As for the weed? You're likely screwed as it affects your willpower and judgement.

The biggest trap is avoiding the triggers, the times when you feel it is "natural" to smoke, such as after a meal, with a drink, etc... One friend said it was coffee or talking on the phone for him.

• Steven

That was blunt but so true. Just what I needed , I can related to the "triggers". Respect to you!

Drinking and smoking are not comparable. You can't use one as a substitute for the other. It's like trying to use pieces of granite rock as a substitute for ice in a drink.

Quitting cold turkey is not at all advisable. Medical experts say this, not just me, who once tried it. it just doesn't work for 99% of people. Many will say they did it but are either lying or are part of that 1%

• Steven

I don't want to replace smoking with drinking but I do enjoy a couple drinks couple timers per week, it could be 3 one night , and 5-7 3 days later , it's not regular