Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

do police departments make the law?

im just wondering who exactly makes the law i always thought it was the cops but a friend of mine is saying the governer does just want to know who right

Update:

racists

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There are federal laws that are passed by Congress and signed by the President. There are state laws that each state's legislative body writes and those are signed into law by a Governor. But then you've also got county laws and city laws and these are passed by county supervisory boards and city councils. You're expected to obey all of them even though quite often they're in conflict with each other. I.E. It's impossible to obey certain federal laws in California without being in violation of state law.

• 2 months ago

No, they don't. You're both wrong. Neither of you is right. The legislature makes the laws.

• 2 months ago

i always thought it was the cops but a friend of mine is saying the governer does just want to know who right

You are BOTH wrong.

The state legislature makes state law. The Governor generally has authority to veto laws passed by the legislature, but not to actually write laws.

• 2 months ago

No. Legislative branches of local ,state, fed govts make the laws.

Cops only enforce it. But, one was asked: "What is a weapon?" Answer :"What I Say it is-!!".

The Governor doesnt even make laws, but has a lot of power. Can stay executions, which is defying a legal conviction and sentencing.Can hold up budgeting, increase budgets to others, without a vote.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

some might make them

• J
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Neither you nor your friend is correct.

The laws are enacted through the legislative branches of government.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Police dept. does not make laws, they only enforce them.

• 2 months ago

Only in the minds of the officers who arrest.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, police departments do not make laws. Laws are made by the legislative branch, police are part of the executive branch which enforces the law.

Your friend is not correct either. The Governor is also part of the executive branch. Your State Representatives are the ones that introduce bills and vote on which will become laws.

As far as the local ordinances that your police department enforce, those are created by the City Council.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The federal legislature makes federal laws.

The state legislature makes state laws.

The city or county council makes city and county laws.

Executive offices (President, Governor, Mayor, etc.) do NOT make laws and neither do judges.

We have THREE branches of government. Executive, legislative, judicial. The legislative branch makes the laws. At the state and federal level, the legislature has two bodies...the senate and the house of representatives.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.