Did i file my taxes wrong? I got $3100 back or was that accurate? I have one dependent.?

I filed my taxes on ceedit karma and I am wondering if it was filed inaccurate. I emailed them asking for assistance they did not respond until after I fild andbsaid I did not file for a eitc credit that I should have recieved. I am confused its my first time filing with a child i have one child under 19. I made $6,067 for 2018 and my refund was $3,100. I paid $800 in state and $135 in federal. Im confused because it says $3,500 is the child tax refund and $1,400 is the refundable eitc. Am i getting my calculations and information off or was my return inaccurate? Also my filing status was wrong with my employer one part had single the other had head of household for state and federal does that affect anything? Thank you

I don't know what you read, but I know the numbers you state are mathematically not compatible. Therefore, I am certain you are misreading something. Please take the paperwork to a tax professional who can help you determine what happened.

Sounds right. go to irs.gov to learn about child tax credit and eic. {earned income [tax?] credit.} filing status only affects how much tax was withheld. If you are within the given parameters there is no problem or penalty.

• Judy

If you got 3100 back, with the rest of your info, it included EITC.. And it does NOT say what you say it does - read it again.

You misunderstood something. $1,400 is the refundable amount of the $2,000 Child Tax Credit.

Because you earned so little, you owed no federal tax to begin with. EITC, whatever amount that was (which I cannot give an accurate number for based on the information you gave) is FULLY refundable. Had you earned substantially more than $12,000, so that you owed $2,000 or more in federal tax, then you would have gotten the full benefit of the $2,000 Child Tax Credit - your tax bill would have $2,000 erased from it. But because you owed no tax anyway, the government let's you keep $1,400 of the $2,000 and the other $600 just disappears.

So, you get $1,400 in refundable CTC and $135 of the tax you paid in from working. That's $1,535.

If your total refund was $3,100, then the other $1,565 should be the amount of the EITC you were given. Again, based on the info you gave, I can't say if $1,565 is accurate or not.

• rachel9 months agoReport

Thank you for your answer. I paid a little over $800 in state and local and $135 in federal. My tax return looks good but if I am entitled to more than I just want to know so I can claim it I really need the money. I just filed my taxes i was waiting until an urgent situation so I dont waste it.

• Eva

Child tax credit is $2000 max. It doesn't matter what filing status your employer has on your payroll. That only affects your income tax withholding. There is no HOH status on a W4. The only other issue would be whether or not you actually qualified to claim HOH status on your return with that little income.

• rachel9 months agoReport

No i didnt qualify on my return it said single so im womdering did money get taken from me then because my paychecks had HoH but my return had single said thats what i wualify for.....

• B

what income did you put in to the ceedit karma? go back to check, what was it? I think the problem is maybe you put in the wrong income amount from your W2.

• rachel9 months agoReport

thanks ill take a look

• KaleyK

EITC is Earned Income Tax Credit. It's available to people with a dependent and relatively low earned income. EITC is the 3nd largest social welfare program in the United States.

• rachel9 months agoReport

Explains why i didnt recieve it then I have been unsuccessful in getting public benefits

The refundable portion of the Child Tax Credit is UP TO $1400.

You didn't make enough to get the full $1400.

It sounds correct. You get the child credit above and beyond what you paid in taxes.

• princess pounder

The filing status with employer is no relevant