do you think students should be allowed to do homework in detention instead of punishment essays ?

I have just got home from serving an after school detention, it lasted for 1 and a half hours, it was VERY dull and VERY boring, we were given 5 minutes to get to the detention room then 10 minutes for the teacher that was taking the detention, to take the register then give out the punishment essays, this meant I got out of school 1 hour 45 minutes late, those of us being detained and punished had to write a 4 page essay on why we were in detention and why we were being punished, I had to write a punishment essay on why its important to behave in class,

MY QUESTION don't you agree we should be allowed to do homework in detention instead of punishment essay, so we have some free time when we get home ?

Favorite Answer

No I do not agree.

The entire point of detention is to reduce the amount of free time you have. THAT is the punishment.

The only reason they have you write punishment essays is so you aren't a squirmy pain in the butt while you're IN detention.

• detention is a very boring punishment and I don't want to be punished again ?

The whole POINT of detention is to inconvenience you so you don't have any free time later.

• edward

Homework is a better waste of time than writing something that doesn’t make people better behaved

In a word: no.

Detention is MEANT to be boring. If you could just sit there doing your homework then go skipping off to join your friends for the evening, how would that be any kind of punishment?

Personal opinions differ but I think they should write lines as punishment essays, not homework.

• Lita

No, I think they should be punished in detention with punishment essays. Homework is for study hall and home.

i think its up to the school what they decide to do

No.

You've learnt a valuable lesson,that actions have consequences.

Personally I do think doing homework would certainly be more productive. The punishment would be staying after school and that could work to a person's benefit where if they were allowed to go home, they might neglect their homework and opt to play, but if their choice is hanging out where they are not allowed to socialize and doing their homework for the sake of not being bored, it could be a win win. They should also not be allowed to nap. While some would opt for boredom over doing the homework, at least it gives some people who do care about their education an opportunity to be productive. Public school has always been sort of a joke, where if the student really wants an education, it is sort of left up to them to get into the more advanced courses and learn on the outside.

• SBR32277

repeat offenders. We have specialty magnet schools where I live and if you miss behave, you get kicked out and have to go back to regular public school. We don't have many offenders.

• .

If you were sitting in class, you wouldn't be allowed to do homework. So why should you be allowed when you're kicked out of class and put in the detention room?

• Jerry

Uhhh ... that's the punishment -- depriving you of your free time. Jeez louise.