Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 months ago

Self care basket ideas? Condolence basket?

Unfortunately a former coworker who was like a second mom to me passed away suddenly, while my heart is hurting I’m very worried about her 14 year old daughter. The funeral is this weekend and I would like to bring something for the daughter to help her out through this very difficult time. I was thinking of giving her a self care basket (tooth paste, tampons, bath bomb/salts, face mask, chocolate etc.) would that be a good idea or awkward? any advice or ideas? Her mother was so sweet to me I just saw her for her birthday and mother’s day and gave her a gift basket now she’s gone, so hard to believe but I can’t imagine what her poor daughter is going through.

• Edna

A self-care condolence basket for a teenage girl? That's the oddest thing I've ever heard of. If you want to do something for her and her family, bring a casserole dish of food to their house. People who've just lost a loved one often don't feel like cooking meals for themselves.

Your heart is in the right place but your gift idea is odd. People who suffer such loss tend to not think to do stuff for themselves they need immediately, like food because in grief you don't think about going to the grocery or cooking. And my guess is that she isn't alone in the world thus still has people looking out for the needs you suggested. But for a 14 year old you may want to adjust the gift to give her something that may allow her to take a break from grieving. Maybe a new video game and some interesting candy or merely the opportunity to escape the house for an afternoon.

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. It's her mother's funerals and you're rocking up with some tampons and bath bombs? Where do you live that this is a thing?

that is a very sweet idea and you should. however, if she is still going to be cared for by a responsible adult and isnt in need of tooth paste and tampons that could come off odd. good luck

That's not really a good idea for someone that age. Personal products are overstepping and inappropriate for this situation. Send a card and/or flowers instead. Or if you really want to spend the money, get her a few food related gift cards (ie: applebee's, chili's, etc) which will help her greatly in the coming weeks.

• helene

Why is everyone assuming the girl is on her own now and can't get toothpaste or tampons or food anymore?

How weird ?

Do what normal people do and send flowers 💐.

• helene

I think it would have been extremely embarassing to me at that age for someone to bring toiletries and especially tampons to my mother's funeral. What on earth are you thinking? That she won't be able to get toothpaste or tampons now that her mother's dead? Is a funeral really the right time and place?

Awkward. This is not a time for gift-giving. Give her your sincere condolences, with a card describing what her mother meant to you. She can turn to this time and time again for emotional support.

• Tulip

Offer to take her out to eat or shopping or a haircut when she's ready. Don't rely on tacky junk.

Money would probably be better than a basket full of tampons and bath salts. I had a friend in her early 20's whose father died in a car accident, and that's what helped her get by the most.