promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I read years ago one sign of a haunted house is taking an outrageous amount of time to sell. Is this true and if so, how do I remedy this?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Jon
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

I doubt it would have that effect. I have heard of people making up fake claims that houses were haunted in the hope it would attract buyers.

I remember reading, but sadly did not keep the clipping, of an American who bought a 14th century mansion in Gloucestershire, England, and then tried to sue the seller over the non-appearance of a ghost supposed to haunt the place. The judge dismissed the case on the grounds that every sensible adult knows there are no ghosts and so a claim that one did exist could not be part of a contract.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

Sell it to a ghost! Century 13 handles that, I believe.

• Gary K
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It may be a sign of an *allegedly* haunted house. Let's be clear - despite centuries of investigation, there is no scientific evidence that any location is inhabited by spirits of the dead.

People are superstitious and often lack critical thinking skills. If it's a problem perhaps try expanding your market. Hold open days. Get advice from your agent.

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Usually it is just a bad reputation.

"Oh - you want to buy the house where the murders happened? - good luck with that!"

That is all.

Usually houses that are actually haunted turn over very quickly - sold cheap for a quick sale, then nobody stays very long.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Hunter
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

No, not necessarily and not always. Sometimes a house may take a long time to sell simply because of a bad market, or a bad neighborhood. Or maybe it's just a piece of crap house... A lot of people don't believe in ghosts and would be likely to buy the house, if they really liked it. But no real estate agent is gonna tell some perspective clients, "I have to tell you, this place is haunted." So how would buyers know a place was haunted? State laws don't require sellers to disclose a ghost.

On the other hand, if say, five people were murdered by a drunken father or by drug dealers, there's nothing you can do about that.

And here's a fun fact: most places can go years, even decades, with nothing supernatural happening there. But people who have latent or active psychic abilities can act as a fuse or a trigger for hauntings. If you have a really haunted house, about the only thing you can do is call in a priest and have an exorcism; see if that works... Or advertise it as being haunted and see if somebody whose interested in such things would buy it. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut and let whatever buyer who wants it, et them buy it.

• Thomas E
      Lv 6
      9 months agoReport

Some areas require a seller to disclose ghosts, etc. before the sale. No matter how hardened a buyer might be to the idea of ghosts, I wouldn't want to live on an old cemetery, even if nothing odd had ever happened.

• 9 months ago

No, that's not how it works. If you could actually prove that a house is haunted, you could charge twice the market value and people would pay it.

If your house is taking a long time to sell, it's not because of ghosts. It's because your asking price is not reasonable.

• If people really thought it was haunted by an interesting ghost with a cool story it would probably make the house more desirable, people love spooky mysteries. Maybe you should try making up a story about one, it can't hurt..

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Ghosts don't exist ........

• 9 months ago

There's no such things as ghosts.

• 9 months ago

reduce the price.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.