Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 11 months ago

I m getting 8 vials of blood taken out tomorrow. Last time I had this done I almost fainted. What can i eat/drink so I don t feel like that?

If fasting isn't required, drink juice/ eat something sweet or lie flat during your blood draw.

• Edna

One vial holds maybe 1/2 teaspoon full of blood. Eight vials would amount to only about one tablespoon of blood. That wouldn't be enough blood loss to make you feel faint.

If you feel faint, it's probably due to the sight of the nurse changing out the vials between each blood draw. (The needle stays in place; she just replaces the full vial with an empty one). Feeling faint is not from the loss of blood.

That'd be 32ml blood if all the vials are full. Less than 7 teaspoons full.

You'll be fine, your body will be back to normal almost immediately.

• Pippin

"Vials" of blood are much smaller than they look. Even 8 vials is not going to result in enough blood loss to make you faint. If you are faint, it's from the blood draw itself (the needle and/or the sight of blood and/or the idea of it.)

Let the nurse or tech know that you tend to faint, and she will have you lie down.

• Tulip

Lots of water.......

• LizB

If you need to be fasting you can't eat anything, but you can make sure your hydrated. Drink plenty of water beforehand. Not just immediately beforehand, but starting a few hours before your draw.

• Eva

That's a lot to draw at one time. Just make sure to eat and drink normally before you have it done. Sit or lie still for a few minutes after they're done. You might want to take a bottle of water and some crackers to eat right after.

You can't make up the blood beforehand, like do something so you'd have 8 vials of extra blood. But you can be sure your body replaces that blood as quickly as possible. I don't know how long it takes for the body to build 8 vials of blood, but I'd guess maybe a few hours.

Blood requires iron, so take some iron supplements. Ferrous sulfate is what most people use. If you take a lot at once it can make you constipated. It's too bad you have only a day, I think taking it for a week would have helped more.

• Speed

It's in your head, really. Eight vials, depending on the size needed for testing, is going to range from less than an ounce to two and a half ounces. In comparison, people who donate blood give 16 ounces.

Be well hydrated, so your pee has almost no color, starting right now. (They recommend two days before a blood donation.) Eat an ordinary meal a few hours before your donation, so it's not on an empty stomach and you didn't just eat. Do not watch the procedure but look away. Remind yourself that this amount of blood is about 1.5% of your total blood volume, or less than that, and your body can handle it easily.

• Bob

Guinness is the answer