Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 months ago

Would you let him miss school to teach him a lesson?

My 13 year old stayed up passed 1:30AM last night. I believe he does that quite often. As a result, he is always difficult to get up in the morning. I just woke him, telling him to come downstairs for breakfast at 7:45. He said OK, but he went right back to sleep. I told him I won't keep coming to wake him... well, should I keep my words? The likelihood is he wont wake up in time for school. The 2nd question is, any suggestion on dealing with teenager sneaking something in his room to play (this time is an old DVD machine) and not going bed at night?

A parent would no ask a question like this because they know that their educations is important and even if he is tired get him up and off to school. As for the late nights and the DVD you know where the fuse box is for his bedroom so take out the fuse.

• Jessica L9 months agoReport

Thanks. Like the suggestion!!

yes i think you should let him sleep in and be late for school, you have already warned him so he had a chance.

No.You're just rewarding him for bad behavior if you do. He needs to get off his lazy behind and get to school, period. And while he's gone, clean out his room and take away all his electronics. That means EVERYTHING. He isn't even allowed to have a digital electric alarm clock- you can buy him a battery powered one. For the sake of his health and his future, you need to resort to some tough love and break him of this horrendous habit he has. Taking away all his toys that are keeping him up at night is a start.

Does the word "duh" mean anything to you?

Yes, you keep your word. I can only assume you're the 13-year-old in this scenario.

• Roddy

You should not have allowed your son to have ANY electronics (including a TV) in his room right from day 1. It will now be hard to do what you need to, which is to remove all electronic devices from his room until he learns to turn them off completely at an appropriate time (I think 9:30 pm for a 13 year old) and get to bed and sleep.

Get an extra loud alarm clock, preferably with repeat function, and put it on the opposite side of the rooom from his bed so he has to get up to silence it.

Insist that he goes to school on time and let his teachers reprimand him if he's too tired to work.

Ughhhhh I dealt with that and it almost drove me crazy. No you gotta get that kid up missing school will just be letting him win make him go to school tired he’ll learn

• Jessica L9 months agoReport

Agree. Woke him again before seeing answers. Yah it is frustrating!!!