Vertical steamers - are they any good?

Thinking about updating my old steam iron from the 1990s, what do you think of these vertical steamers, you know what I mean, that gadget that looks like a shower head and shoots a powerful jet of steam to unwrinkle your clothes without actually touching them.

They are not exactly a new thing but what I want to know is do they work, are they as good as the traditional old fashioned horizontal iron? Do I need to spend a lot of cash to get quality or is a cheap one OK?

Favorite Answer

Steamers don’t do the same things as a iron as they are not PRESSING the cloth.

For my sewing work, a steamer wouldn’t work.

For getting the left-in-a-pile-onn-the-couch wrinkles out of modern clothing, it’s probably fine and likely more effective than throwing them in the dryer with a damp towel.

What a steamer WON’T do is press in creases or give you a crisp look and feel.

fjadsklfjkldfjlads

• drip

I used a professional one at a clothing store and bridal store I worked at.

You must take the hose off and hold the handle. You run it up and down a garment.

You can get steam burn. Use it carefully. I used it weekly and was good at using it. It is great. Wish I had one at home.

But it doesn’t replace an iron.

It would work on most garments. I have used it on cotton, polyester, silk, rayon and lace. Never had trouble with it getting all the wrinkles out.

They can be useful but they don't do the same thing that irons do. Having used the smaller ones sold for home use and the ones meant for professional use, I wouldn't bother with the home kind, and even the professional ones don't take wrinkles out of some fabrics like an iron does.

you will find they do not remove all crinkles from certain materials UNLESS you are prepared to spend a long time trying

• drip

A professional streamer can get out all wrinkles. And it doesn’t take that long. Some store bought home steamers do not work well