Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 9 months ago

Should I take the car?

I have been helping my brother pay for one of the two financed cars the last few years. I have nothing to do with the cars other than paying for the monthly bill, I don't even drive. Once the car is paid off (two more years), is supposed to be given to me. At first, I don't want it, I even wanted my brother to sell it. But he said is being financed, so is hard to just get rid of it. Basically saying I have no choice but to keep paying for it. Is been a huge finance burden on me as it takes out the most out of my monthly paycheck, on top of other bills I have to pay. But now I've been thinking since I have no way to convince my brother to sell the car, and I'm still stuck with the bill, I mind as well continue to pay for it and take the car once is paid off. I do eventually have to start driving, and in this case, I would already have my own car that is paid off.

What do you guys think of this decision? Is it a good idea or not?

I think that you have to have the title in your name if you are going to take the car.

The fact that you are paying on it has nothing to do with the name on the title.

By "helping", does that mean that you are on the loan document and that you are a co-signer? If you didn't sign the loan documents, then there is no reason that you should keep paying for your brother's car.

• Trump 2020

I'll bet when you finish paying for the car, it will be sold and your brother will pocket the money. Betcha betcha. Mom will say it's the right thing to do no doubt.

No..............

Is your name on the title of the car?  If not you can not take it.  Once paid for he can thank you and drive off into the sunset with it.

So terrible idea.

Why are you paying for a car you have nothing to do with? I would not.

Id tell my mom, NO, THANKS.

• May9 months agoReport

When your mom ask you to and say that it is the only right thing to do to help your brother, is there really a choice?

The car will sell for a lot less in 2 years.

• May9 months agoReport

I'm not talking about selling it at this point. If I can't convince my brother to sell the car and I'm stuck with the bill, I should take the car for myself once is paid off.