Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 8 months ago

Why are there suddenly so many spiders in Southern California? When will they decrease in numbers again?

Is it because we had an unusually cold and rainy winter?

Normally I rarely see spiders. This summer I’ve seen them everywhere. Any idea when they’ll decrease in numbers again?

• JimZ

I hit two orb web spider webs this morning. I also have a gazillion spiders in my back yard. I think it is probably more about the really hot weather we have had the last couple of months.

Spider populations are not sudden, they have been there all season. This time of year, they are getting to adult size and a lot easier t spot. Long about late October or November, they will be laying their eggs for next season and many will die off. For the climate of southern California, possible to have spiders around all year long, just hiding from rain storms or windy days. That can even have outdoor spiders seeking shelter in homes.

Spiders are not the bad guys, don't know why people make such fuss over them.

Just think, if not for the spiders, other bugs you like less will be flooding the place.

I will take any spiders you don't want, don't seem to have many around this season.

Could be worse living in Florida, a few spiders there are as big as my hand. Like the huge wolf spiders up around Apple Valley, or the tarantulas above Pasadena. Cool spiders though, welcome at my place any time.

https://livingitwell.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/0...

https://www.nps.gov/amis/learn/nature/arachnids.ht...

You find a black widow, just leave it alone, they leave you alone. No problem.

They only come out at night. They leave their webs during the day, and come back at night.

• Nancy

I blame the exploding popularity of avocados throughout America. Avocado farms are popping up everywhere in California, and they are enormous breeding grounds for spiders. You will never see more spiders than when you're on an avocado farm.