promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I just spilled juice on my laptop. If I have to get another computer, can I recover my old files. (I have a lot of work on my computer)?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Yes, your files are safe on the hard drive. Just don't it turn it ON yet on that wet situation. Open your laptop and remove your drive connect it by using a connector (SATA cable to USB Adapter) this lets you connect to another computer via USB.

Attachment image
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

If the hard drive itself isn't liquid damaged, then yes it's possible. You'll even have a spare hard drive for a rainy day. If the drive is liquid damaged, you'll need to take it to a data recovery center. That'll cost almost a grand, so you'll have to ask yourself if it's worth the money.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes.

Take the hard disk out of the old laptop, connect it to the new laptop using a SATA to USB adapter (HDD enclosure?), copy your files.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

as long as it didn't damage the hard drive.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

probably, yes. you remove the hard drive and install it in an external enclosure, then ask again when the files aren't easily accessible, including your operating system information

• Shadow
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

Provided the HDD did not get wet, you should easily be able to get all your data back by putting the HDD into an enclosure. If the drive is encrypted, you'd need the key to decrypt it.

• David
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

If the liquid spill hasn't damaged the hard drive then it can be removed and your files retrieved. If you don't know how to do this when you take your old laptop to the workshop as them to do this for you

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Only the Keyboard may be damaged. Remove the keyboard and use a USB keyboard.

if it still does not work after you clean it out you can remove the hard drive and connect it to a working PC and recover your data.

• 9 months ago

Laptop Water Damage Data Recovery

Laptop Water Damage – What’s At Risk?

A glass of water, juice, tea or anything else can wreak havoc on your computer’s keyboard. It can seep through the keyboard and get on the motherboard as well, and perhaps even get on the RAM or CPU. The liquid can cause electrical shorts or corrosion on the electronics, resulting in failure. Every model of laptop has its guts arranged a little differently, but all the same, only specially-constructed laptops are designed to resist failure due to water or liquid damage.

Surprisingly, when you spill water or any other liquid on your laptop, though your hard disk drive is the least at-risk part of the computer. Hard drives are usually tucked away enough that some other component might bear the brunt of the damage and spare the drive. In addition, while hard drives’ internals are exceptionally vulnerable to liquid damage, water has a hard time getting into hard drives in the first place.

With the exception of high-end helium-filled drives, hard drives aren’t hermetically sealed. Most drives need the air pressure inside and outside the drive to be equal. However, hard drives have filters protecting their breathing holes. Water or other liquids can usually only get into the drive with a great deal of force. This is why we usually only see internal water damage in cases of flooding—it usually takes a lot of water pressure to force liquid into the inside of a hard drive.

There is one part of the hard drive on the outside, though, that is vulnerable to liquid damage. Liquid on the hard drive’s printed control board (PCB) can cause an electrical short and stop the drive from spinning up. This is what happened to the client in this data recovery case study.

• 9 months ago

Yes, since the hard drive or solid state drive is air and water tight. Just don't take a chance of damaging data by using the laptop. Shut down, remove battery, and make sure the hard drive can be safely removed. You can put it in a USB case and hook it to another computer. Seek a repair shop to make inspection of that laptop. Might need only a new keyboard and cleanup.

• ...Show all comments
    • Just Wondering0001
      Lv 6
      9 months agoReport

You probably had an electrical shortout that damaged the power conectors / parts on the motherboard. You MIGHT be lucky enough to find the same model laptop used for cheap money - then just use the same harddrive. with a Windows installation CD to re-activate the Windows license.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.