Is there out-of-state FAFSA or any other form of grants?

I'm considering to transfer to an out-of-state school but not sure if theres an affordable way to do so

I know fafsa won't cover the entire tuition but I'm just wondering if I would get any fafsa out of state which I'm wondering. Even if its only like $1,000.  Also is there a way to get out of state scholarships or a certain way to apply?

• nancy

Federal student aid (FAFSA) is the same no matter where you go to school. It is not affected by whether you choose to attend an in-state or out of state college. However, a typical financial aid package includes aid from sources other than FAFSA, such as state grants and low interest loans, or scholarships from the schools own resources. In most cases, state aid can only be used if you attend a state school in the state where you are a resident. Institutional aid may, or may not, be affected. In general, if you're planning to go to a state school, you'll do better if you remain in state. If you're planning to go to a private school, it won't matter as much.

Laurie's answer is correct - WITH A CAVEAT: If you are still considered as a "dependent" student according to your FAFSA, YOUR state residency is "attached" to the state where your parents live. You could move to - say Florida - right after you graduate high school, live there & support yourself & pay taxes, enroll in a FL state school when you are 20 - and you would still be considered a dependent student with your state of residency where your parents live.

Many schools - wise to the wiley ways of in-state-tuition-seekers - assign state residency for the duration when the student 1st applies as a freshman.

• Laurie

In-state tuition rates are for students who pay taxes in the state. The state legislators view payment of state taxes as having contributed to the school’s finances. That is why they charge out-of-state residents higher tuition.

Therefore, the most affordable way to do that is to take a year off, and establish legal residency in the new state. It is worth it, in terms of the money you will save.

At least a year before you wish to attend school in the new state, move to the state in question. Establish residency - rent an apartment, get a job, register to vote, register/license your car, and file taxes as a resident of that state at tax time.

• ?

FAFSA is federal. It's just a form that you fill out with your financial information. The results are sent to the schools that accept you, and they decide how much financial aid they can offer you. I know a student who got a better financial aid offer from an out-of-state private school than from the state university (partly, I think, because they wanted to increase their geographic diversity). Some states have scholarships for in-state students funded by a lottery. But otherwise, you need to apply to several schools and see what financial aid they offer you.

There are no grants or financial aid that will get you past the need to pay the out-of-state tuition rate.

The only paths I know of are various reciprocal agreements between adjoining states, or groups of states, which allow students to attend out-of-state under certain conditions. You have to do research to see if any exist for which you qualify in any way.