Do you agree with a parent being their child's friend?

I've heard of parents acting more like one of their child's friends then an actual parent at one point but I've never actually seen it. As for the question well no I don't agree with parents trying to be a child's friend but I don't think they should be too strict either. For example my dad was a bit more lenient then most parents but he didn't let me do whatever I wanted and he didn't spoil me either. So do you agree with a parent being their child's friend or should they be a parent?

Parents need to be PARENTS FIRST, and their kid's best friend SECOND. Period. Kids NEED RULES, and they need structure and discipline in their lives if they are to mature into happy, successful adults.

Be friends but not too friendly. The problem is some parents find it easier to make their child their friend my mom wasnt a mom to me she didnt raise me but she wanted to be and often said myself and my sister were here only friends which we basically were. However as an adult I can see that friendship wasnt healthy I was a teenager and we had sexual conversations about our lives and guys. Ive also heard of or seen on tv mostly parents whi drink, smoke, party with their kids thats not normal someone has to be an adult usually in those situations he child seems more like the parent lol.

• edward

No reason parents can’t be both. My parents were only parents when they needed to be

Obviously I agree with it. Because From childhood a child needs friends. Always they feel alone because they have many things to say. If parents used to act friendly with their child then their child does not have any bad companies, that make bad effect on their life. So parents need to be friendly with the child's so they do not feel the lackings of a friend.

A good parent is both. There's times when you hang out with your kids with no line of authority, and times when you need to step in and enforce rules.

Boss and employees can be friends in the same way.

• Charlie5 months agoReport

Wow thanks and yeah I agree that parents should be both but they should be more of a parent then their child's friend though because I've heard of some parents acting more like friends then actual parents and from what I've seen these parents kids end up becoming spoiled brats.

• Jill

Home life is much easier if you and your child are on a friendly basis. Parents can make and enforce the rules without being the enemy.

I think they can be both.

Let's be clear. This is an expression that has a valid meaning, but that meaning shouldn't be taken too strictly or literally. In literal terms I think an adult should be a friend to their child, but they should absolutely be the authority when needed. That authority should always be exercised, though, with respect and love of the child. There is some gray area, where different parents have slightly different values for what they want to develop in their child, but they should always be considering the whole of the child's good. This means considering the long term while neither overvaluing nor ignoring the child's immediate needs and wants.

Definitely not! Parents are to maintain the parent-child relationship for the sake of teaching, mentoring, and nurturing their children. To become friends puts respect for authority at risk.

Nope weird. like it’s just not ok