Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 8 months ago

Acid Reflux - Singer?

Hey everyone. I’m a singer and I’m 19 years old and I love to act. I have acid reflux really bad and my throat has been constantly irritated for the past like month. I’m in great shape I work out a lot but it just happened all of the sudden. I’m just curious, can acid reflux ruin a voice perminantely? I really hope not.

I am a professional flutist and developed acid reflux. Got an endoscopy and a drug regimen of Zantac, Prilosec, Gaviscon, and proton pump inhibiters, in a rotating schedule because of other drugs I take. But this keeps me playing and pain free. You need to see a doc NOW.

No, acid reflux should not ruin your voice permanently, especially since it only just recently came up. You'd probably have to go through years of abuse for something permanent. Still, take care of it sooner than later. Singing doesn't cause acid reflux, but acid reflux can cause discomforts in the throat that absolutely make singing harder.

Also, there's silent reflux, which is like acid reflux except the symptoms differ slightly. There's no heartburn usually and the person doesn't realize most of the time that it's even happening. It is specifically bad for the singing voice, which is probably the reason they call it "Singer's Reflux" lol. So it's likely that regular acid reflux is affecting your voice to at least some extent.

I just wish I could give you some fair suggestions to help, but I'm not the doctor you need to see, lol. Maybe cut down on really acidic foods until your appointment.

• Tony B

Problems with acid reflux aren't really related to “Singing”. You need to see a doctor.

Shouldn't you be asking a doctor about that?

i would hope not, i would ask your doctor about it