How old do you have to be to drive a mobility car?

My mother is classified as disabled, she is entitled to a disability car but she doesn’t know how to drive. I’m currently 17 and have just booked my driving test, would I be able to drive a disability car at the age of 17?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

You have to be old enough to hold a valid licence. You also have to hold a valid licence.

• F
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

In the Uk motability is one of the biggest benefits scams. register granny for it, and get a new car for yourself.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

Call the local DMV and ask them, get the info right from the horses mouth. That would be the smart thing for you to do. In most cases you should be able to drive her. But call them to be sure: in a few states it is twenty-one.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

If you have an unrestricted driver's license, you can drive a mobility car at any age. But, the question is: Will you be able to? You can't just jump in one of those and drive away; not unless you're familiar with that particular car.

A "mobility car" is a car has been specially modified to fit the needs of one particular handicapped person. If he's unable to use his legs, the controls for the accelerator and the brake might be located on the steering wheel and not on the floor. No two "mobility cars" are ever the same.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • lucy
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

A mobility car is needed for someone who drives and is handicapped. Since your mother can't drive, then there is NO need for a mobility car.

But once you get your drivers license and will be driving your mother to doctor appointments or to the grocery store, then you will need to get a handicap placard on the car, thus can drop her off or close vs parking farther in a handicap parking space. .

• May
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

I'm sure you would be "able to" but the question is would you be "allowed" to. You will have to ask your DMV because You haven't told us what country/state or province you live in

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Get a regular car and she can be your passenger.

• 11 months ago

i would ask the dmv about it

• 11 months ago

when you take your drivers test, ask them

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

You can drive a regular car and she is the passenger. So you taxi her around. A DC costs extra as it is fitted to fit the handicapped person. As she does not have a D.L. now, there is a good chance she never will get one. As the driving exam is identical to what you will be taking.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.