promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I want to get rid of my router and still have 2 laptops and magicjack connected to my modem. Can that be done?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • VP
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Always tell us the makes & models of the equipment you're asking about. In this case, your router and your modem. It lets us know what you're actually using versus what you *think* you're using.

But, in general, what you're thinking about doing wouldn't make sense so you'd have to include the REASON you're thinking about doing this.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You should ALWAYS have a router between even a single computer and the modem since otherwise the computer is directly exposed to the possibiity of hacking from the internet.

A router creates a new network on your side of it and links the computers through to the internet side only when they have originated a request to be connected. Every packet of data passed across is checked to see that it was actually called for by your computer.

The router is also absolutely necessary if you wish to have more than one computer or other device able to be connected to the internet at the same time, or if you want to use WiFi (which service is generated in the router).

• 9 months ago

Why would you want to do that? The modem will only allow a single device on the Internet. You need a router to allow multiple devices on your home network to access the Internet. So no, getting rid of your router will not let you use your other devices at the same time.

• Jon9 months agoReport

A CROSSOVER CABLE IS DISCUSSED WHERE A ROUTER MAY NOT BE THE ONLY SOLUTION! tHAT IS WHY i ASKED AND IT APPEARS BOTH OF US NEED TO READ FURTHER!
      ====================

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.