Is it okay to wear your engagement ring and wedding band before wedding?

I don't really want to have a wedding. People have asked why I have the wedding band on and only one person judged me for it. I feel being engaged is an awkward phase so why not just be married? Plus I feel our relationship is no less of a commitment and I wanted to be "unoriginal"

Plus its American tradition, not a biblical rule right

• Athena

No, you are not married yet.

Honor the process and traditions or don't even bother.

What ever... people will think you're married.. those who know you may wonder why but those who don't won't have a clue.

• steve

Yes both me and my my girlfriend wear a wedding ring we bought as we don't need a piece of paper to confirm our love for each other.

We have decided we will at some point go to Vegas or Gretna and get married so that we have financial and legal security if something happens to either of us in the future so we were legally married.

But at the moment we are young not religious so official marriage is not a requirement. As far as we are concerned I asked her to marry me, she said yes I gave her a diamond engagement ring but we decided a big ceremony was not required.

I bought a wedding band and on holiday in Thailand on our own we said our vows at midnight on the beach and promised love for as long as we shall live and I gave her the ring I had bought and she also gave me one in return.

As far as we are concerned we are married. I do not need a religious ceremony to confirm that.

We will do it properly at some point just to make things legal.

• GB

Wear what you like, but be prepared for your work colleagues and family saying things like 'you kept it quiet' etc, or asking you about the wedding. Without a wedding you can't be married. If you have a very simple ceremony with just 2 witnesses (it can be in a place of worship, or not) it's still a wedding.

There are no jewelry police.

You have no clue who is "judging" you unless they tell you. People are entitled to their opinions and you are entitled to wear whatever jewelry you want despite their opinions.

"Plus I feel our relationship is no less of a commitment" Your relationship is 100% less commitment if you aren't legally married. What you feel is irrelevant in terms of the law.

Yes it's ok to wear your wedding band before you're married. Does that mean you're married? No. Does that mean people might judge you? Yes.

• Caz

If you want to "just be married", then...get married. Until you go through a legal wedding ceremony, which can be something big and flamboyant or something small and quiet or something anywhere in between, you aren't married and any jewellery you wear is just jewellery.

A wedding is the ceremony whereby you get married. It's up to you how big or small this is; it could just be the two of you, or you could invite 200+ guests.

It's not a wedding ring if you're not married. It's just a ring. Like any other jewellery.

• mokrie

By your reasoning then why not wear a wedding band even if your not in any relationship. Then it means nothing.

There's almost nothing in the Bible pertaining to modern wedding etiquette, most of which was invented by the Victorians. You can do whatever you like. I know someone whose fiancé died before the wedding and she's still wearing what would have been her wedding ring and probably will be for life.