Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 9 months ago

Can someone explain the general structure and definitions for all programming languages?

I'm currently learning python and so far have dealt with 3 kinds of data types, what functions are in python and calling functions, if and else statements and yeah other things I don't remember, please help!

Also am I better off switching to a type of C language if I want to develop windows based software

10 POINTS BEST ANSWER

a place to eat food?

Can you explain the general structure and definitions that all programming languages have? Like data types and functions but others call it method I think not sure, I remember reading that somewhere... I want like a framework I can put on a word document so I can refer to it when learning a new language. I am using Python to learn programming but I hear performance wise C is most efficient so I am thinking I make the change to that after I learn how to program first.

• EddieJ

First, can you tell me what restaurants are in the United States?

----------------

Oh, I can see how my question can be misinterpreted. I meant, I wanted a LIST of restaurants in the US.

AND, I see I probably misinterpreted you. When I read the words, "what functions are in python", I now see that you were saying you were learning about that, not asking for a list of functions.

So, aside from asking if you should switch to C -- you probably shouldn't -- I'm not sure what you are asking. Or, is that all you are really asking?

----------------------

Well, yes, you should learn to program first before worrying about things like picking a language for performance.

All programs are based on sequences, decisions (if statements), repetition (for and while loops), and function calls. You also need to understand the concept of nesting. You can look at a flowchart and see rectangles that are meant for one simple sequence-type statement, but can contain a whole program. If you flowchart that program inside the rectangle, there will be more rectangles, each of which can contain a whole program.

There is a 4th variable type, a pointer, but that isn't used directly in Python. If you learn C, you'd learn about those. Pointers are used behind the scenes in Python and that allows data to be nested, so an element of a list can be a list of lists.

Not every language is object-oriented. In some languages, EVERYTHING is an object. C has no true objects. Python is in the middle. Java is currently where most students learn about object-oriented programming.

• Lv 7

C is more powerful, especially C++, but much harder to learn.

you might start with C#, which is a bit easier.

of course, you CAN use Python to write Windows programs, it is just a simpler language. the harder a language is, the more it can do, typically. you need to decide how much effort you are willing to put in...

There's no single structure or set of definitions that fits all programming languages and isn't so general that it has almost no practical value. (There are theoretical models of computing that cover everything that a digital computer can do, but they're more useful for proving things impossible than for getting something useful done.)

If you want to see what Python has to offer, start thinking "outside the tutorial" and look at docs.python.org. The Library Reference sections on Built-in Functions and Built-in Types have a lot of material that even a comparative newcomer can use.

There are far more than three data types in Python, even if you only count the builtins that you get without an import. Most of these aren't present in C and are decidedly harder to use, when they exist, in C++. I suggest you stick with Python until you get comfortable with writing nontrivial applications, then look into Windows-specific coding.

Later, if you want to write applications specifically for Microsoft Windows, I recommend C# as the only language designed from the ground up to be a .NET platform language. And the .NET frameworks are what Microsoft has recommended for over a decade for all Windows applications.

• Alex

You know...you don't have to say "10 points for best answer" as...

THAT'S HOW THIS @#$%ING SITE WORKS!