What happens if theres no police report and i have a car accident uninsured in NJ?

I got into a car accident yesterday and had no ins!No injuries,and the guy i hit just wanted to exchange info and not call police!We did so,but my ins is not valid!He will find out when he files claim!What happens next?If theres no ticket,then what happens?Im guessing this is a civil matter?i dont know?Doesnt a judge have to have a ticket in order to impose fines and other things?Can a small claims judge impose these things,or is it just to pay damages?My fault.im stupid!No excuse!I have 2 kids and im a single dad!I know im screwed!Live in NJ!Please help me!

Other guy don't need police report!Accident was your fault!Means you pay for it!

Sorry... I can't keep typing like a retard. You caused the accident, so you're responsible for the damage. That's the law in NJ, just like it's the law everywhere else. When you decided to drive without insurance, you legally agreed that you would personally cover any loss or damage your vehicle caused. You can't un-agree to that now, just because you don't like how things turned out.

Yes, a judge can (and will) force you to pay for the damage.

• zipper

The insurance will notifier Us Police and you will be arrested for driving an uninsured vehicle in the State. It is about a 3 to 5 years sentence. That depends on the area Judge. We will be coming to get you pal! You would help your self if you turned yourself in before we get involved.

He didn't want cops envolved because he doesn't have insurance either!

Source(s): Same thing happened to me! Don't sweat it!

What do you do?

If you want to demonstrate the same behavior you expect of your children when they grow up:

1. You call the guy and say "my insurance is not valid".

2. Can you please provide me the estimates for repairing your car so I can get this paid for you.

3. if you don't have the money saved up, start working 24/7 until you have the money saved...

4. Do not ***** & moan to the guy you hit about not having the money.

5. DO NOT DRIVE ANOTHER INCH UNTIL YOU GET THE LEGALLY REQUIRED AMOUNT OF INSURANCE. This means, if you have a auto loan and are supposed to have full coverage - GET IT.

Once he contacts your insurance company and finds out you are uninsured then your insurance company reports it to the MVC and then your license gets suspended until you pay for the damages out of pocket. And the fees and penalties of driving uninsured......you're in deep financial trouble.

Source(s): NJ resident
  • May

You will have to pay out of pocket for repairs. . Just so you know, injuries very often can show up days after the accident. You would be responsible for medical bills too.

Of course you can be sued. If you do not pay the guy can (and likely will) sue you in small claims court.

Payment can be up front in total or in installments from your earnings.

What should you do now? either stop driving or buy insurance. Also, please learn to use punctuation when you write.

I'm always amazed that people can't afford insurance to protect themselves and their families. They put themselves and their families in danger by driving uninsured yet can afford to buy "smart phones" and computers with which they use poor grammar

• ray10 months agoReport

I forgot how perfect you are!Youre clueless Einstein!So i guess youre without sin?Sorry jesus,next time i will call you to make sure im living my life right!

• Phil M

By not getting the police involved you set yourself up to be cheated out of money for false claims. Hopefully the guy is honest and only wants to fix his car and doesn't claim any injuries.

Assuming it was your fault? You better call him IMMEDIATELY and set up a plan to get his car fixed. No question NJ will fine the pants off you to fatten their coffers. If they don't know you are endangering others by driving a one or two ton piece of iron and steel, you will only have to pay to fix his car (no arm and a leg paid to the government democrats who can then go on vacation and make their boat payment) WHICH IS FAIR if you caused the damage.

• Dze

you fcked up giving him information lol .. if he sues you your screwed ...

Your best bet is to accept whatever amount the guy you hit wants.

To put it simply, if it goes to court, you will be screwed. The first thing that the judge will ask you is why your insurance does not cover the damages.

When you tell them that you have no insurance, the judge can issue a "no insurance" fine and a penalty on top of the damages that you will be required to pay.