Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 9 months ago

I have stage fright and I have to sing a solo on Wednesday, I’m so scared and nervous what do I do? My voice shakes so bad when I sing.?

I did this last year but my voice was so shaky. Also, the day I was singing I was kind of confident but when it came to me in the room about to sing I just had a bunch of scared/anxious thoughts. How do I stay confident when I sing and throughout my solo? This solo is required because I’m in choir. Can anyone also help me on how to have a more confident voice/be more confident in my voice? I’ve been so worried and stressed and scared and I just can’t seem to calm myself down and I don’t know what to do so please help me.

Try with digital music aggregator.

try to sing to as many people close to you as possible even when your in public try to sing your lungs out and dont be scared for peoples reaction...if your on stage and the moments you get scared try to sing with your eyes closed for a couple seconds or try avoiding eye contact with the audience and just look to the people that you know...it might help you a bit (: and good luck!

Source(s): my experience

Have you spoken to your choir director about your situation? Why would the director insist on you singing a solo part if you're that scared? I'm a choir director and I've never insisted that anyone who suffered stage fright sing solo.

• RJ

Here are some tips about how to overcome stage fright:

Gently hum to steady your voice.

Eat a banana before you sing. It will lower that empty or nauseous feeling in your stomach but won't make you feel too full either.

Chew gum. Chewing gum a little bit to ease the tension in your jaw. Just don't chew gum too long or on an empty stomach or you may upset your digestive system a bit.

Stretch. Stretching your arms, legs, back, and shoulders is another great way to reduce the tension in your body.

Meditate. On the morning before you sing, or even an hour before, take 15 to 20 minutes out of your day to meditate. Find a relatively quiet place where you can take a comfortable seat on the ground. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing as you relax every part of your body.

Set a "stop time" for your anxiety. On the day of your performance, tell yourself that you can allow yourself to be nervous for a certain amount of time, but that after a certain hour -- say, 3:00 PM -- all anxiety will go out the door. Just setting this goal and making this promise to yourself will make it much more likely to happen.

Source(s): I am a professional singer
  • Blonde

Looks at the lights in the back of the room, not the people, go into ‘singing mode’. Also, try reverse psychology...imagine you are sitting in the audience and someone else is singing..do you want to hear a shakey voice? No. Some of the shyest people on earth are excellent singers, you are not alone.

• Marduk

Everyone in the audience would be just as terrified as you are. Performing or speaking in front of an audience is the worst fear most people have. Remember they are all frightened, so they understand. I had to take a course for teaching and oh boy was I scared till I realized the rest of the class was too. Now, I have no problems getting up in front of a crowd. Do your best and close your eyes if it will help, but fear not.