Does the Xbox 360 still work without internet?

My xbox 360 has been sitting idle for years now as I've migrated to PC games. I got the idea to put it in my parent's basement so the grandkids could play it when they visit. But there's no wifi signal down there.

I tried putting various LEGO games in and the machine acts like it can't read them. (these are games I know used to work). I cleaned the disk and put a head cleaner disk into the 360 to clean the laser head. It also reads DVDs just fine. But it won't play the games.

Seems like the 360 won't play game discs without internet. But that doesn't seem accurate. Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

• ?

You have a bad laser lens. You can replace that part without replacing the whole disc drive. Even if other games do play, if the system is not playing some clean scratch free discs, the laser lens is bad. This is not an issue with the internet at all.

1. "master of puppets" is wrong about the disk drive replacement ( i did it multiple times for cash)

2. the xbox 360 has never needed internet to connect to any offline valid game (some games were online only)

3. its likely that dust or something has damaged the disk drive causing issues.

• Master Of Puppets

Why do you think there are many posts on forums on how to flash or reflash a 360 DVD drive: https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-can-i-flash-a-different-dvd-key-to-a-dvd-drive.1269254/

Yeah that's not accurate at all. The Xbox 360 has never needed Internet access in order to play any disc-based games. The Internet is more of a supplement for the functionality rather than a requirement. Do you have another games you can try? This is just to rule out the drive not being able to read the games. If other games still do not read at all, then it might be a DVD drive problem.

Unfortunately, DVD drive replacements on the 360 aren't a simple swap. Each 360 motherboard has a unique key that is "married" to its DVD drive. If you swap the drive with another one, the keys will not match and the console will not work with the replacement DVD.

*Update*

To clarify my last paragraph:

If it turns out to be a bad DVD drive, then the replacement won't be straightforward.

Since the DVD drive and motherboard are "married", you will need to reflash the replacement drive with the key from the motherboard. If you don't do this, the Xbox will treat games as DVD movies so you won't be able to play. When you "remarry" the drive to the motherboard, then it will work. However, it is a quite complicated process to do so. If you're interested, here's a forum post about what you need to do: https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-can-i...

• Entropy

I tried a couple different LEGO games. I'll try some others when i visit next. The thing about it being a DVD drive problem that doesn't seem to track is that DVD movies DO play. Thanks for you response.