Cristina asked in HealthMental Health · 9 months ago

Is there one way to be sure about having depression?

I think I have depression. Is there one way to be sure about it? I haven't said anything to my family because I'm not sure. Also, I would prefer not to go to theraphy or to a psychologist, because I don't want my parents to waste money on me... I've seen multiple posts on the internet that I can relate to and didn't know happened to other people too, and in the comments there's people that say "Hey, you know that's a symptom of depression right?".

• justin

I care. im sorry... God is testing you to care. to want the best for everyones soul love god and love good peopel when its hard. If I cna help send me a mesage my kik is gerberstuffbabies my email camaro33125cody@gmail.com or usa my text now number is 717 516 0310 and my facebook is camaro elfyboy with a pink sword art online anime picture. Depresion is a disease and u must fight back. I've been thru this, know many friends who are working thru it with my help. u must see thru this illusion . If I didn't care I wouldnt bother replying . Therfore I do care . Therfore i want u to reply. For me accepting that god loves me and wants the best for me and pushing away/blocking negative thoughts and feelings helps alot. Create a rubber band like forcefield within the center of ur mind and use it to push slowly but forcefully all the negativity out of ur mind. Pull urself within this rubber band force field and use it to create some space inside that u can have hope and faith that god will make right all wrongs if u can. Another trick is to put things in perspective. To see the world and ur life as a short temporary schooling for ur soul where u whould try to learn what u cna when u are here cause afterwards is an eternity of perfect bliss and good things. if u cna do it right it often will make u feel ur negativity melt away. All pain and suffering will be reimbursed he told me and it will not be a 1 to 1 ratio but 100 to 1. some pain types differ like oppression which is even more so. So do not allow the sadness to win.

go to the doctor

Sometimes, it can be hard even for a doctor to be sure. There are standard depression screening tests like CESD R or KADS 6-Item for teenagers, and they're designed to spot people who should be seen by a doctor for a diagnosis.

Aside from that, there are other reasons for talking with a doctor. A doctor can give you a physical, and this is because depression can be a symptom of some physical illness. You could talk about treatment options.

The evidence for treating depression with self-help is encouraging, but treating it with self-help alone is experimental. Maybe the doctor would go along with it if you have a mild case.

You can find out about therapy in a good self-help book, like the one by psychiatrist David Burns I mention in the answer below, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS. I suggest reading it and talking about it with your parents. What I don't suggest is keeping your problem a secret.

Healthy lifestyle therapies are especially good for young people because they're easy. You have a variety of low cost, low risk things that can be combined with each other, and with standard treatments with office visits. While it's not clear at this time that any one of these things is as effective as an antidepressant, it's common sense that if a variety of reasonably good things are combined with each other, they will have considerable effect.

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with family or friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you.

Of all the traditional mind-body practices (meditation, tai chi, etc.), the one with the best evidence for affecting mood disorders is yoga breathing. Slow breathing is used for treating anxiety, depression, panic disorder, and PTSD. It's safe and it doesn't take any training. You can find out about the work of psychiatrists Richard Brown and Patricia Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my recent answers.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Everything's a sign of depression... And that's the problem really, because it can so easily be mistake for something like prolonged sadness, anxiety, or even anger management issues. With young people it's especially difficult because everything makes young people feel upset.

So, for starters, I agree that therapy is a waste of money if you truly have depression because there may be no good cause for your depression. You could just suddenly recall that time you said something stupid a decade ago and feel miserable the rest of the day, or anticipate an argument that will probably never happen but still be reduced to tears over it. Depression can also cause physical discomfort or even pain. So it's more of a mind over matter issue, where you have to recognize the signs of depression coming on and talk yourself out of it. But, of course, a lot of people do well with proper medications.