Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 months ago

My daughter in law doesn’t cut my grandkid’s hair, should I cut their hair?

My 3 older grandkids are 6 and 5 year old twins and they all have very long hair. My 5 year old grandson’s hair reaches his shoulder blades and the girls’ hair is well past their waists. How my grandson doesn’t get in trouble with long hair at school, I will never know as their school’s dress code is pretty strict.

Both my daughter in law and son have long hair and I do wish my son would cut his hair but he refuses because he likes it even though it looks unprofessional. They’ve never taken the kids for a hair cut because the kids like having long hair, my daughter in law will give them a tiny trim at home every couple of months to keep the ends neat and that’s it.

I have the kids until they go back to school tomorrow, I want to go and get their hair cut so they look respectable for school tomorrow, should I do it because it’s clear their mother won’t.

Long hair can be nice sometimes.

• Cammie

This is NOT the '60's.As long as the hair is clean , there is no problem with long hair.

This decision is NOT yours to make .

It's NOT YOUR PLACE to decide how long or how short your grandchildren's hair will be. That is up to your SON and his wife, NOT YOU. If you cut their hair, no matter how well intentioned you may think you are, chances are good that your son will promptly cut off all contact with your grandchildren- possibly permanently. And rightly so. In his shoes, I'd do the same thing, because the length of your grandchildren's hair is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. You need to BUTT OUT and let well enough alone. As long as the kids are healthy and happy, and they aren't being bullied or mistreated in school, then it makes little difference how long their hair is.

Leave this decision to your son, grandma.... for your grandchildren's sake, if not for your own.

Absolutely not, these are not your kids. Besides that the mom sounds like she's giving her children's preferences some consideration. My grandmother used to always cut my hair short when I was little and I hated it, and she knew that I didn't like that type of haircut. So no you shouldn't do it and especially if the kids seem to like it because it will eventually cause a strain in any relationship you have with them.

• GEEGEE

Sure do it, but you'll likely not have the kids in your care without supervision unless absolutely necessary. You had the change to impose your authority on your own kids, when they were young. That time has passed.

• GB

You say you don't know how they get away with it at school. It sounds like the school does not specify how long hair is allowed to be, though they might have a rule saying it must be tied back for certain subject such as sports. Also, your son is not being told by his boss to get his hair cut.

If you cut the children's hair even if they 'agree', their parents are likely to say they were too young to consent. I understand, that you find it a lot of bother brushing and washing their long hair. (My mum did not allow us to have long hair until we could look after it.) You can tell the parents you won't have the children stay overnight until they are old enough to look after their own hair.

• edward

It’s not your call. The older generation isn’t always the wiser.

I have always had short hair, my own choice, dress code at my school demands it for boys.

If you never want to see your grandkids again, cut their hair. If you do, accept it is not your call to make.

• Lita

No, the children's hair is the business of their parents. It is not your business. It doesn't matter if you don't like it. It's not up to you. Leave their hair alone or run the very real risk of never seeing your grandchildren again.

• Lita

Actually, yes while the children are minors parents can force them to get their hair cut. You are mistaken.

Yes. Cut their hair.

These immature so called “parents” should also be held down and shorn like sheep.