Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Is there is no differences between "have been and had been" in a sentence when we use them for conversations?

I mean, we just choose one of them in a sentence, and all will be correct. No differences, its only a synonims?

Had implies the past, some time ago; something finished or possibly an unmemorable event.

"I had been there as a teenager, but not since."

Have implies recent, ongoing or unfinished, something that may be repeated or continued;

What were you doing over the weekend? I have been painting the house.

Using "had" in that would imply you were forced to stop and do something else instead, rather than finishing.

eg.

I had been painting the house, until the thunderstorm started.

Or, concentrating on the have/had difference:

I had one of those toys when I was little. (Had - past, no longer true)

I have one of those toys, it's a collectors item now. (Have - still true)

There is a lot of overlap between the two & in some cases they may be interchangeable, but in some other contexts one one or the other fits.

I have been a healthy man since I turned 21 years old. However I had been involved with two ugly women who were much older than me since then.

There is a difference. If you say "have been" then it is present tense and indicates that you are still doing whatever it is you are talking about. On the other hand, "had been" is past tense and indicates that you are talking about something you had been doing in the past.

In verbal conversations, you may get away with using the incorrect tense without anyone pointing it out, but it is better to learn and understand the correct grammar rules.

Hope this helped.

Certainly there is a difference between the Present Perfect and the Past Perfect, whether you use them in conversations or in writing an academic paper.

Is there no differences? Are there no difference? Do their meanings change when we use them for conversations?

Of course there's a difference. Google "present perfect vs. past perfect."

• geezer

There is a difference.

I have been ... means that you still are still doing it now.

I had been .... means that you've finished.

• ?

Well, that's not true. "Have been" is used to reference past events that are ongoing, "had been" to reference past events that have ended. So if you say "I have been going to the gym every week", thats something that you're still doing, if you say "I had been going to the gym every week", that's something you no longer do. Its far from arbitrary.

“Had been” means something began in the past, lasted for some time, then ended. This is entirely in the past.

He had been in prison from 1900 to 1914.

This verb tense is known as past perfect.

Both “Has been” AND “Have been” mean something began in the past and has lasted into the present time.

This meaning is known as present perfect continuous.

Use “has” when describing a specific person (not yourself) or a non-person (e.g. an animal or an object).

Use “have” when describing yourself, a group (both human and non-human), or when using “you”

Examples:

George Washington has been a well-respected man in the United States since the late 18th century.

He has been in prison since 2005.

The tea set has been in this house for a long time.

I have been alive since I was born.

You have been eating for a while.

They have been dancing for 3 hours, and it doesn’t look like they’re stopping anytime soon.

Dinosaur fossils have been in the ground for millions of years.

• Cara

No, there is a dfference in meaning. "I have been to the shops" means that during an understood time period (such as today, or this week) I have been to the shops. "I had been to the shops" means that the time period shifts backwards to a time BEFORE whatever you are talking about - for example, "When I saw John last week I had been to the shops."

I have been, he had been, you're a has been.