Should I sue the builder for not washing our windows and walls?

My newer house is next to a construction. When they build the new homes, they caused lots of dirt on my windows and walls. They even put a wash pool by our house, which brought more dirt. I asked the builder to wash our windows and walls after they are done, but he rejected to do it because they lose money on the project. What should I do?

The fact that you have dust on your house does not show negligence on the part of the builder. Construction is a dusty job, get over it. You can always pay someone (neighborhood kid, a relative, a handyman etc) to hose off your house and squee gee the windows. It would cost very little compared to the time and energy spent filing a lawsuit.

• Kate

I am so sick of people wanting to sue others for simple things all the time. Just hose it all down.

Your walls? Why didn't you close your windows so construction dirt did not enter your home? You failed to mitigate your damages, so that one is on you. As far as window cleaning goes? I think you are out of luck and will have to clean your own windows.

There is a spray bottle contraption you can attach to your hose and all you have to do is spray your windows with the solution and then rinse with clean water. Try that because I highly doubt anyone is going to pay for your windows to be cleaned. As a matter of fact, your lawyer fees will consume more time and money than the windows would take to clean them yourself.

I suppose you can sue anyone at any time for anything. Whether you win the case or not is the real question.

my whole area is under construction, no one has ever been able to get them to clean up the windows, if you must talk to the contractor first, but I doubt suing would be worth the effort and time.

You can sue anyone for anything. The odds on you getting something out of this are slim to none. Window washing is a repetitive maintenance task. You have to do it anyway. If they broke a window that would be a different story.

Wash your own windows. Or wait for rain.

• Lv 6

it is the responsibility of the person doing the work to make sure that they don't cause any harm to neighboring properties

Simply build an extension to your own house, making sure that any dust, dirt and debris lands on the new construction houses. That'll show 'em.

• Tavy

Suing is NOT free in any country. You need money to do this, have you got any? In the meantime get a bucket of water and wash it yourself.

• Lv 6

incorrect, it cost nothing to sue someone in small claims court in the US, and any court fees are passed to the loser of the suit

Thank you for your reply. Where should I go to sue the company who hires the builders? Small claim court or talk to the company first?

• Lv 6

also the person above this comment is incorrect, going to court, especially small claims court, does not cost anything, and any fees will be passed onto the loser of the suit

sue the person who hired the builder, it is their duty to make sure their job does not cause any issues with the neighbors, they then can sue the construction company since they are the ones who have a contract with them.