Why am I better at finger picking than using a guitar pick?

The first couple years of playing I totally ditched the pick. I have been using my fingers only. The other day I went back to using a pick and it’s very hard on me to pick individual strings. I can strum whole chords with a pick just fine because that’s easy. I can pick individual strings with my fingers with ease whearas I can’t do this with a pick. Should I just stick to using my fingers instead?

• Me2
    Favorite Answer

Part of the difference in difficulty is that your flatpicking is out of practice   Another part is that, when fingerpicking, your fingertips are nearly always close to the one or two strings they'll be striking, while a flatpick requires wide (but precise) excursions to reach single strings.

Be aware of "hybrid" picking, in which you hold a flatpick as usual, but also use the middle and ring fingers (sometimes the pinky, too) to pick.  With time, you can play hybrid as well (or nearly) as a thumbpick-equpped fingerstyle player.

Ok play some thrash like that then....

Source(s): nothing
    • Teva

I play thrash without a pick

• Tony B

Well if you’ve not used a pick for some time then you will find using one difficult.

Whether or not to use a pick depends on the type of music being played and personal choice. There are many guitarists who don't use one.

Unless I'm playing finger style on acoustic I almost always use a pick. I've played for over forty years but I think if I was starting over again, I might try using a thumb pick and fingers. I find a thumb pick awkward and can't really strum with one or play single note lines but I've seen lots of people do it so I guess it's just practice.

Jeff Beck doesn’t use a pick. It depends on the sound the musician is trying to make.

You should work on getting better at using a pick. To be a really good guitarist it's important to be able to do both.

• Teva

I've only ever used my fingers. I like the contact, i can put more into it. It feels like there's a barrier between me and the guitar with a pick......i suppose cause there is. Stick with what you're good at, there's no right or wrong to it.

Idk I’m the same. I’m better at fingering my sister than my girlfriend.

• Teva

I'm better at fingering your sister too.

• Aiden

It's all to do with practice, and finger tip strength! I'd keep with what you're good at!