How can I change my night-owl lifestyle into early bird lifestyle?

I have 15 days left of my holiday, but my current lifestyle don't allow me to use this time wisely because I'm waking up lately and I'm also going to bed late. How can I change that?

It's not so simple to go to sleep earlier, because I will have problems falling asleep. The same happens with waking up earlier, if I force myself to do so, I will be feeling tired and weary during most of the day..

But I'm sick and tired of my current lifestyle and I would like to adjust to normal living hours.

I have also found that I have problems when I sleep less than 10 hours (I'm 22 years old, I shouldn't sleep more than 6 and half hours). I also need 30mins-2hours to fall asleep on regular basis.

My example day:

Wake up: 14:00

Preparing up to 15:00

[Normal living]: 15:00-01:00

Taking shower: 01:30

Going to sleep: 03:00-04:00

Sleep: 04:00-14:00

Desired effect:

Wake up: 06:00

Preparing up to 07:00

[Normal living]

Taking shower: 21:00

Going to sleep: 22:00

Can anyone help me or giving PRACTICAL tips about changing it? The answer "just try to fix it" don't work..

• Marvin

Do it gradually. I used to have a job where I had to fly a lot. I was living in Singapore, and flew to the USA about three times a year. I had to do a complete flip. I usually took three days off before leaving. On the first day I slept until noon, and stayed up really late. The second day I shifted my schedule by three hours,.On the third day I shifted my schedule by another three hours. It worked every time. I did that when I was 50, so it should be no problem for you.

Do it gradually by going to bed no later than midnight and getting up no later than 8.00 am. After a week of that go to bed slightly earlier, say about 11.45 and get up at 7.45 and so on until you are sleeping for about 8 hours still but at times that will fit in with whatever it is you need to get done in a day.

• Liz

The best way I have heard is slowly move your sleep time. I usually move my bedtime and wake up time by 10-15 minutes each night. So try to sleep at 3:50 instead of 4 and wake up at 13:50. Use an alarm and develop a good bedtime routine. It may take several days to successfully move your routine by 10 minutes. Adding a bit more exercise can help move your routine as well.

This will take time to do, but it can happen.

start forcing your body to sleep at normal times

• Roddy

Only by will power will you be able to achieve what you want.

Cut down on caffein and sugars during the day (ie the 'normal living' time.

Don't eat for at least 3 hours, nor drink for at least 2 hours before your desired bedtime. Also stop watching TV or using your electronic devices 2 hours before bed time and keep them out of the bedroom at night.

Do some energetic things during the day, and particularly in the afternnon/early evening, to use up excess energy.

Go to bed at the time you ought (by 22:00 if possible) having set an alarm for the time you want to get up - place the alarm clock well away from the bed so yoiu need to get up to silence it!

i would just go to sleep and wake up whenever you wake up

• Kyle

some people suggest staying up late like you do, but going to bed when you hope to. the extra day of less sleep will make your next day of your normal schedule more tired so you fall asleep faster.

something i do is go to the gym. i'll go to gym on my way home from work three times a week, but before dinner. that way i still have time to relax when i get home, and still not amped up from my workout. if you workout right before you sleep, that may not work as you'll still have energy. but if you do it three hours or so before you sleep, you won't feel as energetic and exhausted to fall asleep.