Is a truck driver a good way to go? How good is the pay?

I’ve always found truck driving to be an interesting job to go for but I haven’t talked to anybody with experience.

The money you makes depends on whether you're an owner/operator or just being paid an hourly rate by someone else.

Whether you enjoy it I can't tell you. People either love or hate the job. Many people get driving jobs because they can't do much else.

• JetDoc

It's an OK job if you don't mind being on the road and away from your home, friends and family for weeks at a time and spending most of your time alone while driving 10-11 hours a day in all sorts of road and weather conditions. Some people enjoy it. Others get burned out fairly quickly.

Don't believe all the CRAP people tell you about earning $100,000 or more per year from driving truck. While some drivers who own and operate their own truck CAN bring in that kind of cash, MOST of it goes right back out to pay for truck payments and operating expenses like fuel, maintenance and insurance. At the end of the year, you might be lucky to see $30,000 in your bank account.

There are better jobs out there that allow you to have a social life and sleep in your own little bed in your own little home every night.

Source(s): I'm a retired long-haul trucker (CDL-A)
  • Edna

The people who make the most money driving a truck are those who own their own "truck" (the cab) and haul independently - not the truck drivers who are employed by a private company.

i would just go apply for it

I've been driving commercial vehicles for over 21 years, starting out with the big motor coaches in 1998 and switching over to trucks part time in 2003, and full time in 2007.

Driving is not a bad job, but it is not the job it was when I started, or even 10 years ago. The pay varies widely from one company to another. There are local, regional, and over the road routes. Some companies have a variety of routes available, some not so many. Because of my age, education (High School) and experience, I can't find another job that equals the earnings potential driving provides.

If you are truly interested, check out several companies. I assume you would be new to the industry, so that will mean attending a driving school. My advice would be attend a driving school and pay for it yourself. Do not get wrapped up in a company training program where you are committed to that company for any period of time.

Also, look for a company whose drivers brag about the way the company treats the drivers. Stay away from companies where the company brags about how they treat drivers, unless the drivers also brag about it.

• George

It's almost the worst paid job in the whole world but people do it because it means thet are not stuck in an office all day and are outside but protected from bad weather.

I think it could be a lucrative business to be in.